chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen

(shawn's point of view)

Cameron finally forgave me. When I got back to the hotel, he was smiling, and actually talking. I guess I was on time for a surprise that harbored for me.

"You'll love it, dude." Matt said as he blindfolded me. Carter and Taylor shared a laugh, overly eager.

Nash was back, sitting in a wheel chair his leg permanently propped up. Another cast like contraction was around his collar bone, but other than that he looked fine. I still felt a sting of guilt whenever I saw them, all messed up, but when Nash woke up he assured me he didn't blame me, and that was enough to keep me going. I still hadn't told anyone but Aaron about Ann, and I hadn't even told him how I felt about Olive and Trevor.

The boys guide me along down the hotel hallway. I'm suspicous, but overall trying to enjoy one of my last nights with them for awhile. I felt like shit for not being here this whole time, but a bigger part of me felt like I fucked up big time with Olive, and my thoughts always drifted towards her. The way her skin glinted like porcelain, the pale white color and the way her cheeks turned pink when she was flustered. How her hand for into mine, the softness of hers compared to the rough edges of mine.

I shook my head microscopically, trying to get my head on straight. I lived in Canada, and she lived in California. Nothing more could ever happen between us. We were being foolish. And the constant ache inside me about Ann throbbed as I thought about leaving her sister behind, as if I was betraying Olive too.

"We're almost there," Jack J said as the elevator dinged shut. Jack G was the only one who still wasn't talking to me, but I could feel his presence.

A few seconds later the elevator opened, and I could hear the buzz of the lobby. The boys walked me through it, and then opened a door, a burst of humidity hitting me, and then screaming.

Matt took off my blindfold and I saw we were in the pool, a group of people already there, all holding up red cups and cheering. I laughed, rolling my eyes at the boys.

"Hope you like it," Carter said, "We tried really hard to make tonight fun. Mahogany knew some people, so we decided to throw a party." He inquires.

I smiled. I was the only boy leaving tomorrow. The rest were staying for a couple more weeks, and I know in their faces it won't be the same without me.

Someone hands me a red plastic cup and the party officially starts.

-

(olive's point of view)

The house was empty once I got home. I turned all the lights on, the dark spooking me.

No Shawn. For good.

I was a disappointment to my parents. Even before Ann died, they never prided me or paid attention. Even when Trevor and I were together, they looked the other way. No sex talk or house rules. My mom would busy herself with her business and dad would be out of town like he is now, but he'd visit more back then. Now, I was lucky I got to see them an hour a week.

I wallowed in my sorrow. I almost felt numb.

Ann died because of me. If I hadn't brought Trevor into her life, if I hadn't been so oblivious and stupid, she'd be here. I could've stopped it. Shawn could have met her. He could've fallen for her, instead of me.

I grab my hair, letting out a frustrated sigh, suddenly wanting to throw everything in my immediate reach.

Frustration quickly became confusion as I heard the door open. I was in the living room, a rare occasion for me, just standing there, looking at all the expensive vases I could destroy when it happened. The front door was right next to the kitchen, through the corrider, only a few steps away.

"Mom? Dad?" I called out timidly, taking a cautious step. The floor creeked, but not from me.

My stomach started doing anxious flips as my every nerve was on alert.

I took another step, slowly wrapping my hand around the vase closest to me. "Shawn?" I squeaked.

Again, no answer. Footsteps were heard, and they came closer and closer and closer. Then he came into view.

I gasped, my heart dropping as Trevor walked in the living room, dressed in black. A sinister smile was on his features, and I scrambled backwards, the vase firm in my shaking hands.

"Hey, Olive." He greeted, as if this was a normal affair, as if I opened the door and invited him in.

I stared at him, my breathing coming in shallow huffs as I took a few more steps back, my legs running into the coffee table. "Get out." I managed, my voice shaking uncontrollably.

Trevor laughed, taking another step towards me. "Aw, come on. Aren't you going to offer me a water, maybe some tea? It is your favorite." He took another step forward. My throat felt like it was closing up, like I was suffocating and I couldn't find enough air.

He was close to me now. I could almost feel his breaths, his eyes staring me down, two bottomless pits I once adored. Now, they projected vomit. I backed against the wall.

"You can't resist me," His voice grew lower, taking a smaller step towards me. Before I knew what was happening, his hand was around my wrist, making me drop the vase. It made a shattering noise, and I jumped, trying to get away from him, but he grabbed both of my wrists, pinning them above my head. I was useless against his grip; his muscles buldged under his black shirt, his face showing an expression of amusement.

"Stop," I tried to demand, my legs kicking at his shins, trying to get away.

Trevor pulled me away from the wall, just to slam me against it again, my head bouncing off, shooting pains fielding my vision for a second.

"Trevor, please," I whimpered, pathetic.

"You told that boy about Ann, didn't you?" He questioned, his voice even as he stared me down.

My voice shrunk and I tried to melt away from him, to sink into the floor, to dissolve into nothing. I knew he was talking about Shawn, and I remember when he came here, anger radiating from him. My nonanswer confirmed his question, and he let out a grunt of anger.

"Stupid bitch," He growled, reeling his hand back and punching me in the cheek. I yelped, surprised at the impact and the pain that accompanied the rough action.

"Trevor," I gasped as he continued the assult, throwing me to the ground and immediately kicking me in the ribs. I gasped as it continued, the kicking moving to my back and shins, one landing on my cheek.

I couldn't breathe. Everything hurt. I curled into a ball, shielding my head and ribs with my arms, folding in on myself.

"Get up," He growled, grabbing my arm and yanking me upwards. "Do you want me to show you what I did to Ann?" He laughed, and my eyes opened wide, anger replacing the pain. My fists clenched as I ignored the pain everywhere. Trevor grabbed my shirt, ripping it open, showing my bare stomach and purple bra.

I felt exposed, but I ignored that too as I thought on my feet. I kneed him in the groin, and he doubled over, giving me an escape. I pounced over him and ran as fast as I could to the closest door, which was the bathroom. I quickly shut the door and locked it, my heart beating a million times a minute.

I was still shaking in shock, my breaths becoming gasps as I stared at the door. There was no time to think about what just happened as I fumbled with my phone and called the only person I knew.