Chapter 4: Breaking Rules & Breaking In

"So what's the plan?" Mikey asks, raising his eye ridge and slashing his nunchucks around.

Everyone turns to me, as if I have any idea what we're supposed to be doing.

Well, they're right. I do.

"We'll split up into groups. Leo, Casey and I in one; and then Raph, April, Donnie and Mikey in the other. Raph, I'm going to ask you to be the leader for yours. Use your brain before your weapons.  Everyone, listen to Donnie if he tells you something boring about chemical reactions or whatever the heck he talks about...most likely, he's right and if you don't listen, then you'll be blown into pieces," I explain, looking them each in the eyes.

I turn to Mikey and put my hands on my hips. "Michelangelo, if I get feedback from Raph and April saying that they want to strangle you, I will smack you with a pizza box. Am I heard?"

Mikey gulps and nods quickly.

I turn to Leo and Casey. "Leo, you're a very skilled fighter and where the three of us are going, we're going to need the skilled fighters the most. Casey, you are eager and enthusiastic about punching and beating people up, which I fully support in this situation."

I turn towards everyone and fix my face to be set stern. "I want you all to keep in mind that the Dark Angels are not like the Foot or Purple Dragons. They're clever, dangerous and poisonous. I need you guys to act like you would while practicing with Splinter. Make sure to expect the unexpected. You need eyes on the back of your heads, guys."

"Mikey, remember: save the jokes and laughs and cheers for after the fight. After, after. Not when you think you won. I'm sorry to sound pessimistic but we probably won't win. But that doesn't mean we can't accomplish what we're going for. Raph, remember: smarts before sai. Does everyone have their Shell Cells?"

"We've got the Shell Cells," Don says and all the turtles pull out theirs.

"Guys, remember: we will not win. And if something does happen where we know we can't fight any longer, we need to turn back. But don't take any chances of them finding the lair. Raph, your group is going to the Headquarters. Make your way to the Subway Stations--keep going through the Trolley way. Just go right through. There will be a switch, although you'll have to feel the wall for it. Switch it and you'll enter the Headquarters."

Raph nods.

"Wait, what do we do then?" Mikey asks.

"Fight as many as you can. Chances are, there aren't going to be as many as there were earlier. I want you to find badly injured people. We have a safety room that I'm positive no one has invaded yet." I give them the instructions to that room and add, "Make sure no one is following you."

"Leo, Casey, we're going to be following some of the Dark Angels to their hide-out.  Our mission is to get my sensei back as well as free as many captives as we can.  Everyone, remember: stay safe and don't stay any longer if you get injured or you're overpowered.  I swear, they multiply by the millisecond.  Call each other if you need anything."

"Wait, how do we know if it's a Dark Angel or one of the FBI workers?" Raph asks.

"Dark Angels wear all dark colors.  Agents will just be wearing regular clothes.  But anyone in a karate outfit that's green, red or any color besides black or white, they're students.  Even if they insist on fighting, don't let them.  If they're dressed in white long sleeves and black pants, they're warriors.  Let them fight unless they're injured."

Casey leaves to go wish April good luck.  I watch Leo's gaze and put a hand on his shoulder.  He looks at me, surprised.

"Leo," I say firmly.  "I want you to know that you don't have any big duty.  All you need to do is help -- that'll be good enough, I promise.  Our lives don't depend on you, so I don't want you to feel that pressure you normally do.  We're a team here.  Don't be afraid to ask for help." I embrace him with a hug that's meant to be comforting.