"Maybe they have to so they don't crush your pieces to the point of irreparable." Ethan replies.

"Or maybe they're just giving sympathy that is not wanted when love is the actual needed requirement." I snap.
Garret sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "Jake, can you step outside for a moment."

"Why?"

"I need to have a talk with the guys."

I frown and look between the three of them but they avoid my gaze.

"Jessica's outside in the car. You can accompany her." Carter suggests.

Ethan gives me a look that says to try nothing with her. I stand up on shaking legs and slip out of the room.

I debate whether or not to stand by the door and listen in on their conversation but they know me too well and expect me to stay so the remain quiet.

When I finally give up, I walk downstairs and outside.

Jessica -in all her beauty- sits in the passenger seat of Carter's car while listening to music silently. When she spots me, she frowns and hops out of the car. "Hey, Jake. Are you okay?"

Well isn't that just the question of the day -no year.

"I'm fine." I lie.

She crosses her arms and quirks an eyebrow. "Why don't I believe that?"

Because your not as stupid as most girls. "Because it's not true." I murmur.

She nods and steps toward me. "Well I'm not going to ask what's wrong because I doubt you'll tell me the truth."

I chuckle. "Smart girl."

She smiles and leans against the car. "So instead of asking you about your touchy subjects, why don't we talk about football."

"Why football?"

She shrugs. "Because I don't understand it, and it would be cool if I knew what I was cheering for when I go to games."

I laugh and run a hand through my already messed up hair. "Okay, well what would you like to know about it?"

"Everything I guess. The basics would suffice."

I nod and look to a Nerf football laying off to the side. "Hand me that and I'll show you a few things."

I walk off a little into the yard and wait for her to get the ball. Her throw would have been perfection if she hadn't tripped while throwing it.

I catch the ball and resist to urge to laugh as she grumbles and stands up. "If I hear a laugh come out of you, I'll run you over." Jessica threatens.

Why does she always want to run me over?

After her showing her everything I can think of, we're both covered in mud and grass. Jessica keeps insisting on playin tackle football and not two hand touch but I'm not going to tackle a girl -especially Jessica. I don't want to hurt her.

"Are you being sexist or something? Do you think I'm too weak to take a tackle or something?" She asks snatching the ball from me.

"I never said you were too weak and no, I'm not being sexist."

"Then hit me!" She says dropping the ball and pointing to her face. "Right here. Hit me!"

"No! I'm not going to hit you!" I exclaim. "Why would I hit you?"

"I don't know? Maybe you don't have any balls to do it?" She presses.

I narrow my eyes and step towards her small frame. "Oh, I have balls, hon. I'll prove it to you if I have to."