Jace looked down the courtyard once again, before snapping: "So now, you decide to talk." She didn't reply, taking a handkerchief out of a pocket from her trousers and passing it through the rope. Then, she handed it to Jace who took it as a reflex, before repeating with insistence:

"The cord can't hold us both. You go first."

The girl huffed, removing her scarf with annoyance. "You are a General. Your men need you. I will be right behind you."

"Like this is going to happen. I am not —"

"Yes you are. You are heavier than me, and you will down the cord. If I go before you and change the stability of the cord, you could fall in the middle of the keep. This won't happen to me if I go after you."

Jace was about to argue, when a loud bang echoed behind them, indicating that the mercenaries were trying to get in the room. The girl drew her sabres, positioning herself in a defensive posture as she pressed Jace: "Now, General! We're loosing time!"

For the fraction of a second, he hesitated before the girl glared at him, replacing her scarf on her mouth; and so he jumped, letting himself slide down the rope. The wind lashed against his skin, echoing in his ears in a piercing shriek, but Jace kept his eyes open, letting go of his hold on the cord as soon as he passed the wall. Since he was still rather high from the ground, he fell rather hard on it, rolling a few times before swiftly getting up and looking anxiously at the window that he just left to see the girl slide herself.

Still out of breath, he rested his hands on his knees, when he suddenly heard a noise behind him, making him draw the sword he had gained earlier and turn to the intruder. But instead of mercenaries, he saw his Lieutenant and Magnus Bane getting off of their horses.

Jace had named Alexander Lightwood his Lieutenant, first out of respect. He was his senior by two years, and had started to train for the army life long before him. But still, the General Graymark had estimated that Jace was more worthy of the title of general and gave him the badge. Still, Jace did not forget the person with whom he learned to wrestle, handle a sword or fire arrows. He did not forget that, though he never fancied himself as a friendly person, Alexander had always been there for him. As a friendly adviser as much as a shoulder to rely on during his rare moment of doubts when he couldn't see the King for consultation. So to Jace, the two men were brothers in arms. It was more than a saying for him, it was a truth of his heart.

Alexander was slightly shorter than Jace, though being older; and he was less imposing in the matter of stature. But the fact that he was leaner gave him more agility than Jace ever had. Jace always thought that the lean musculature of his Lieutenant was due to his specialisation in archery. Never in his life, he had seen an archer who was buffed, and Alexander was just another proof of that. He had dark raven hair, that could almost be mistaken as navy blue during a bright sunny day, and the darkness of his hair would make his blue eyes appear even more piercing than they already were.

Magnus Bane who was beside him was nothing of the sort, physically, or in Jace's heart. Jace never liked Magnus Bane, ever since he had to tolerate him in this journey. It had nothing to do with the fact that Magnus Bane was a foreigner that came from the country of silk and spices. Jace never actually lingered on that fact, and even thought that it was a strength for the foreigner for he had knowledge that no one would ever have. It was more due to the fact that Magnus Bane was a politician, and that Jace felt that he had no place among his men.

The man with an olive skin and almond shaped dark eyes was from the Council of the King Morgenstern, and had been ever since he came in their country. Jace never saw him with a sword in hand, or a bow, or even a dagger. Sure, during the little sessions Jace organised throughout their journey he took notice that the man could defend himself; but Jace wouldn't trust his life, or any of his soldier's life in the foreigner's hands.