Abuelo

Chapter Ten: Abuelo

~~ It was a long while before the storm stopped, and, when it did my mouth tasted nothing more but of salt, my eyes stung harshly and the more I rubbed them, the harder they stung; my arms and legs were entirely spent, they no longer stung but they were numb and refused to move. So, I allowed my body to float and bob among and atop the waves, which were surprisingly calm; I didn't care about fish or anything anymore, if they didn't get me, starvation, dehydration or drowning surely would! I closed my eyes and sighed, the stinging in my eyes was only now a dull pain (now that they were closed). I thought of the Captain, he was, ultimately, the only thing I could think of! His actions puzzled me, why would he kick me off of the boat right after he fought so hard to keep me on it?

Why did his mood change so quickly? And, most importantly, why did he keep calling privateer de Chagny my boyfriend? I sighed and pushed these thoughts away, I was so deprived and stressed thinking straight was not a good thing to do! I opened my eyes and saw the most wonderful sight I had ever seen: land! It wasn't that far away either!

I rubbed my burning eyes a little to be sure it was true, and, by god there it was! The lush, emerald green trees upon the glowing white sand! I threw my arms around me and muscled through the pain; for, I knew I would be saved. Like a seal, I pushed my body upon the beach with my hands whilst my legs laid limply behind me, pain pulsating throughout them; I flopped down upon my stomach when I was far away enough from the water that I wouldn't be carried away and I slept.

~~ I don't know how long I slept, but, I do know that when I woke, I woke in a completely different place then when I fell into my slumber. It was a smallish, colourfully decorated hut made of light green bamboo sticks, straw, large, deep green leaves and a bit of wood. On the walls were draped cotton blankets of all colours of the rainbow! In one corner, however, there was what looked like a small shrine; three steps lead up to a black, blanketed platform and atop this platform were flowers of every colour, much like the blankets that hung on the walls. In the midst of the flowers was a black bird cage, but, there was no bird inside, in stead there was a large, white snake with pink eyes!

My mouth hung open for a moment or two as the snake and I stared at each other, the snake's tongue flicking in and out of its mouth every so often. But the snake did not panic, it did nothing, it just stared at me as I tore my eyes away from it and attempted to focus on the room; hoping to god the cage was firmly locked. Below me layed a lush, crimson carpet, matted and stained with dirt and muck; around me was handmade wooden furniture! It was polished and slicked to shine in the little rays of sunshine that escaped through the gaps in the bamboo poles and blankets. All of a sudden a green blanket was lifted up beside me and I panicked as I saw new people walk into the room.

One was a young woman, no older than I, yet the other was an old man, I would say his age was around seventy to eighty. The female was caucasian and the male was a caramel colour, both had green eyes; the woman's hair was black and the male's was a strange blonde colour. The woman wore a strange fur, like one that belonged once to an animal, as a dress and the man wore several furs; the woman stepped forwards and I scrambled away. "Oh, no, no, no! Please, don't be afraid, we mean you no harm" she assured, placing her hands flat out before her, to show she came baring no weapons.

I paused my scrambling and stared again at the two, my mind so muddled it was almost impossible to think of anything! Both the woman and the man sat down before me and crossed their legs, the woman smiled largely to me and yet the man remained stone faced. "My name is Angelica and this is Abuelo, we found you on the beach, are you okay?" She asked slowly, I paused and gave a shaking sigh, was I okay? I had all of my limbs and everything seemed in tact, save my thoughts, I nodded slowly and the woman smiled again.