chapter one

Davina and I visited her friend that knew what to do the following day. We had a light breakfast and got out of the apartment as fast as possible. It was a nice day out, the sun was shining and I was at peace for a second. Whispers of foreign words and names that kept repeating on a loop were in the back of mind as we walked to her friends home. My head ached with every loop of the strange words, and soon enough my sensitive eyes started hurting.

Davina must have noticed since she kept all conversation between us light, only speaking to me when necessary. She even gave me her sunglasses so I wouldn't have to endure the unimaginable pain of how bright the sun was. After about half an hour of walking, we walked into what looked like a warehouse on the outside but was actually the flat where her friend lived.

"Don't get weirded out if he starts yelling at me for taking a stranger into my home," Davina warned me before we walked inside. "Marcel is sort of a father figure for me. He cares about my well-being a lot and he wouldn't hesitate to hurt anyone who laid a finger on me." Her voice was soft as she spoke of Marcel. I smiled at her, not knowing what to say. Did I have someone like that in my life? If so, where were they and why did I wake up in a grave with no knowledge of who I was?

We walked into the flat without knocking, something I thought was strange.

"Marcel?" Davina called out. I heard footsteps behind me so I turned around and was faced with one of the most attractive men I've seen so far. A look of pure horror washed over the beautiful face of whom I presumed was Marcel.

And suddenly, he was behind me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. It was like I was stuck in one moment of time for long seconds and Marcel had walked to the other side of the room, passing me in a blur. I turned around and saw him standing protectively in front of Davina.

"You stay away from her," Marcel demanded. I put up two hands, too scared to do anything.

"Marcel!" Davina chastised. "She's harmless."

"Harmless?" Marcel sounded outraged as he said, "Do you even know who that is?" He asked.

My breath caught in my throat. "You know me?" I whispered. I was ready to repeat myself since my voice had been too low for anyone to possibly hear.

"Cut the act, Rose. I don't know what you're up to, but leave her out of it."

Was my name actually Rose? Sweet.

"Please. If you can tell me anything about myself, a last name or take me to a family member," I practically begged, deciding to not voice my smartass thoughts. I feared that if I did, he wouldn't take pity towards me and lead me in the direction of someone who could help me. 

Marcel furrowed his eyebrows as he leaned towards Davina, saying something I couldn't hear.

"Memory loss," Davina explained to whatever he had said. Marcel whispered something else, and Davina's eyes widened. Suddenly, she was studying me as if I was a frog to be dissected.

"Stay here. Don't hesitate to hurt her if she tries anything," Marcel said before taking off yet again in a blur.

"What's going on?" I asked, a defeated tone to my voice. "Why... How can he do that?"