|seven|

Cole and Grayson held an awkward distance as they stepped into Target.

I smiled and waved them over, wrapping my arms around Grayson's neck and kissing him. I pulled back to see Cole rolling his eyes.

That morning, I called both of them to let them know I wanted them to help me shop for the baby. Beth, the woman who was adopting my baby, asked if we could help her out. Of course I was so ecstatic that I made a list.

"Gray," I said, pulling the notes out of my purse. "You get some clothes, preferably newborn."

"Got it," Grayson said.

"Cole, you get the car seat, preferably pink."

"Okay," he said.

I nodded my head, satisfied, and headed towards the baby food aisle.

"Carrots, broccoli, banana?" I whispered to myself. "I have no idea how to shop for a baby!"

I sighed, frustrated. I didn't know anything about babies. I ran a hand through my hair as my face heated up in flames.

"Bev?" I turned to see Cole standing in the aisle. "Do you like this car seat?" He pulled out a hot pink one with butterflies. I smiled.

"Yes," I said. "At least someone knows how to shop for a baby."

"Beverly, you're doing fine," Cole said.

"It doesn't feel like that though, Cole." I took a deep breath.

"It's not too late you know." Cole stepped closer, crossing his arms.

"For what?" I found myself stepping back slightly.

"For us," Cole said. "To keep the baby. I want to be involved."

"Cole, i-it's too late for that," I said nervously.

"Is it though?" Cole said. "You were devastated when I broke up with you."

"Cole, that's the thing," I said, my voice rising. "You left me, I'm the one who should be begging for you, but guess what, I'm not!"

"Beverly, come on!" Cole said. "I know you still have feelings for me, why else would you ask me to be here?"

"Because you're the father to my child! And that's all it counts for!" I rolled my eyes. "Nothing, will ever happen between-"

Before I could finish my sentence, Cole wrapped his arms around me and kissed me, square on the lips. My eyes widened in shock, but I didn't push away. For some reason, even though I wanted to so bad, I couldn't push away from him.

But what's even worse is that I kissed him back. I knew it was wrong and probably the worst thing I could do in this situation.

After a couple seconds, I finally pushed back, guilt spilling over my face.

"Oh my God." I placed a hand over my mouth. "Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no."

"Beverly, I'm sorry-"

"No!" I cried, running my hands through my hair, pacing the baby food aisle. "Don't say anything. This never happened, we have to pretend this didn't happen."

"Pretend what didn't happen?" I swiveled around to see Grayson, holding a handful of baby clothes, staring at Cole and me with a confused face.

"Nothing!" I forced a smile to my face, but it probably looked more like a grimace.

"Okay?" Grayson looked momentarily disoriented, then shrugged it off.

"What did you find?" I asked, biting my lip.

"A lot," Grayson laughed. It broke my heart that he had no idea what just happened. "Do you like this pink or purple one more?" He held up two onesies.

"Purple." My hands clenched into fists as I took a deep breath.

"That's what I thought too." He tossed the purple one into the cart, along with a few others, then walked up to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

I looked at Cole with a dead expression as Grayson pulled me into a hug.

When I pulled away from Grayson, I turned my gaze to Cole.

"Could you excuse us for a second?" I grabbed Coles arm, and dragged him to a different aisle.

"Hey!" Cole whipped his arm out of my grasp.

"No!" I said. "I don't want to hear it! I'm so happy with Grayson! We can't do this!"

"Beverly, you're carrying my baby," Cole said, his voice a little too loud. "I can't stand not being with you!"

"You're going to need to get over it, Cole. I don't like you." I crossed my arms. "Remember, you left me!"

"Hey, you kissed me back," Cole smirked.

I nearly screamed, and pushed his shoulders and he moved back slightly.

"You pushed the limit, Cole," I said, my voice quivering. "Don't come near me or my baby ever again."

"Beverly-"

"Go!" I cried, shoving Cole. "Before I do something I'll regret."

Cole rolled his eyes as he walked passed me, our shoulders bumping.

I pressed the tears that were filling my eyes back as I looked through the stack of magazines that were in that aisle.

For about five minutes I was alone until I felt an arm wrap around my waist. I flinched then looked up to see Grayson, who had a wide smile on his face.

"Hey." I wiped my teary eyes and smiled. "What's up?"

"Not much," Grayson said. "Where's Cole?"

"Cole?" That name came out choked. I looked down at the floor. "He had to go."

"Oh, that's too bad," Grayson said. "I wanted to get sushi, the three of us."

I couldn't hold it in any longer. Tears spilled out of my eyes, and I tried looking at the ground and turning away from Grayson, but he caught me.

"Beverly?" He grabbed my hands. "What happened?"

"I'm so sorry." I put my hands over my face, trying not to sob.

"For what?" Grayson pulled me into a hug.

"Everything!"

And with that Grayson pulled me out of the store and eased me into his truck, getting me coffee and bringing me home, where I collapsed onto my bed and cried myself to sleep.