Can I Be Him?

the moment he saw you, it was magic.

you walked in the room, a guitar slung around your body, and a bag on your shoulder, your hair in a bun, and a smile was plastered on your face. you've been in the Avengers Tower before, thanks to Tony Stark, your boyfriend.

the moment Steve saw you, it was magic.

he knew it was hopeless, but he kept on liking you, loving you, every bit of you.

"hey Steve!" you chimed as you made your way to the man. he smiled at you, a gentle smile, and said, "hey, (name). what are you doing here?"
you leaned closer to him, and he swore his heart was about to explode in his chest. you were so close, that he swore you could almost hear his racing heart. "I want you to rate this song I wrote. also, I'm gonna sing this at my gig tomorrow night."

Steve smiled at you, and nodded. you two made your way to the sofa, and you placed your guitar on your thigh, and you smiled at him before strumming the first chord. as you sang, Steve never took his eyes off you. he was damn sure that there's no getting out of this pit.

you sang a love song. it was full of adoration, and compassion. you strummed the last chord, and your (e/c) eyes met his ocean ones, the ones that were so deep that if you looked at them too long, you might drown. "so what do you think?" you asked. he smiled at you, and said, "it was amazing! wow! I mean, I knew you since the day Tony brought you here, but you would always still surprise me with that talent of yours."

"thanks, I knew you'd react that way." you replied, setting the guitar beside you. "it's for Tony. I hope he'll notice that it's for him when I sing it tomorrow." his heart almost stopped. of course, it was for Tony, because he was your boyfriend, your one and only. and him...

he was just your best friend.

he knew every fight, every shit, every secret that Tony doesn't know. he knew you better than Stark does. but that's what bestfriends do, right? they're just there to support you in every decision you make.

the gang later came in, shawarmas on their hands. "oh, hey (name). we have shawarma." Bruce said, setting down the paper bag on the coffee table. Tony came in, and you literally flew from the couch into his arms. "hey babe." Tony purred on your ear, and you giggled. "hey baby."

"I got you shawarma." he said, loosening the hug. "thanks, babe..." then your eyes widen, and then said, "I have something to tell you all!" you stood up on the coffee table, Tony practically telling you not to. "I have an announcement everyone!"

everyone in the room turned to look at the happy girl on top of the table, and Steve loved you because you were always you. "I have a gig tomorrow night, and I want you all to be there."

they all agreed to come, and you told them that you'll be reserving a table for the gang. Tony kissed you, and Steve had to look away, too jealous and hurt.

~~~~

it was the night of the gig, and the team found their table, and settled in their seats. it was the usual bar that you worked in for about 2 years, and you were a crowd favorite. you walked out, and everyone cheered.

Steve looked at you like it was the first time he saw you. "hello everyone," you said through the mic. "I would like to acknowledge my friends being here, they're in front. guys, say hi."

the gang waved at the audience, and you began to strum a note, and then said, "my first song for tonight is my own written song. I hope you guys enjoy it."

you strummed the first notes, and sang the first words, and Steve...

Steve was out of breath again.

it felt like it was for him. that you were just singing for the soldier. but in the back of his head, he knew it was for Tony. Tony was smiling, for real. his eyes were smiling, too.

it was too magical for Steve.

the gig ended, and it was time for all of them to go home. you were in Tony's arms, and each one of them said goodbye. Steve stood in front of you and Tony, the last one to say goodbye. "can I give my best friend a hug for a job well done?" Steve requested. Tony loosened his hold on you, and you were in Steve's arms.

Steve swore he wanted this to last forever.

he swore that at the first moment, he wanted you to be his.

he swore that when he looks at your eyes, he'd thought there would be that slight chance that you two might be together.

he swore that every time you were close to him, he'd stop himself from kissing your lips.

he swore that every time you cried in front of him because of a fight, he wanted to just hold you, and tell you that you're safe in his arms.

he swore he almost asked you if he can be the one.

but he also swore that he can't be Tony.

he can't be him.

Steve loosened the hug, and waved you and Tony a goodbye, turned around, and walked away.

"I know it was for me babe." Tony said, kissing your forehead. you smiled, and cupped his cheeks. "I love you so much, Tony Stark."

"I love you more, (f/n)."

"I love you most, (f/n)..." Steve whispered in the wind, as he continued to tell himself that it will never happen.