Chapter Sixteen (Part Two)

Audrey's POV

Once again, I put my heart on the line for a relationship that didn't get anywhere. I thought since this time it was my mate, things would turn out differently, but I guess not.

Sometimes I even wonder why I bother with love. It seemed to just hurt people in the end. Did true love even exist?

No. I know it exists. My love for Clara is real and even though she left, my love for her was still very much here.

I wasn't even angry that she left. If anything I was more upset. The fact that she chose to leave rather than talk to me is what made me upset. Regardless of all that though, she could come running through that door now or in five years and I would still take her back.

Call me weak, I didn't care. Clara was my life and I'd spend every hour praying for her to come back, no matter how much it hurts,

"Lady Sullivan, everything is ready."

I looked up at the mirror and nodded to the guard. I stood up and ran my hands down my dress. It was a black lace floor-length dress that had a slit running up to the middle of my right thigh.

It was strapless, fitted at the top and flowed at the bottom. I must admit, it was a very beautiful dress and I just wished Clara was here to see me in it, especially during the coronation.

I turned and nodded to the guard, who gestured for me to walk ahead of him. I let out a deep breath and walked out of the room, with the guard following close behind me.

We made a stop at a set of double doors that led into the throne room. A few seconds passed before the doors opened in front of me.

Everyone in attendance rose to their feet and bowed their heads as I made my way down the red carpet towards the two thrones at the end.

Two thrones. For now, one person.

I closed my eyes briefly and shook my head free of those thoughts. I'd rather not think about it, not now anyway.

When I got to the end of the carpet, I bowed my head to Queen Julianna,

"Audrey Sullivan, please kneel." I knelt down in front of her and bowed my head slightly, "Do you swear to uphold the honour and pride of Dranthoven? Do you understand what it entails and know that the kingdom will look to you in times of hardship? Do you accept the title of Queen?"

I nodded, "I understand and I accept the title of Queen."

The crown was placed on my head and I stood up to my full height and turned to face the crowd,

"Audrey Sullivan-"

I raised my hand, "Actually, I'd prefer to be called Audrey Reynolds. Clara isn't here to agree or disagree but I'm going to take her last name eventually so I might as well rock it now."

The crowd chuckled before bowing to me. Queen Julianna gestured to the throne. I stood up directly in front of it, facing the crowd,

"Now is the time for Audrey to drink the blood of a royal." A guard walked forward and handed me a glass of blood, "By drinking this, it will become binding not only by title, but also by blood."

I raised the glass to my lips and took a few sips of it. I handed it back to the guard and sat down on the throne,

"I can now officially introduce you to your new Queen. Queen Audrey Reynolds! Please be upstanding!"

The crowd stood up from their seats and bowed their heads to me. It felt weird but I guess I'd get used to it eventually.

Maybe it was just me, but it felt like the room was out of focus. I shook my head to try and get my eyes to focus but it wasn't working. Everything started to spin and as I went to stand up, I fell onto the floor and blacked out.