Chapter 1: Wolves, Lions and a Bull-Headed Stag

Arya

"I'm going to kill the queen"

Once these words escaped her mouth, clear and serious, the reaction she received didn't surprise her, for who was so careless, so stupid as to think that a girl her size would ever be able to murder the blonde demon who had taken possession of the Iron Throne?

She laughed along with the kind lads who had shared their food and wine with her and allowed herself to speak no more. Much as they smiled, Arya had learnt not to trust people easily long ago, and she had learnt it the hard way. That's why she let them believe she was joking. She was just another weak orphan girl, traveling in hopes of getting herself a better life. Nothing more and nothing less than that. And they believed her.

In the night she decided it was time to go. She took another look at the stone where the soldiers' swords were placed but took her eyes away right after. Not today. She wouldn't betray these people today. She wouldn't steal them or kill them. "Be kind to strangers and they will be kind to you" that guy had said and she decided not to disappoint him.

By the time she started riding her horse again she could already see the sun making its appearance. Kings Landing was presumably five days away. She had a plan, but in order to complete it she would need totake yet another life away. One that wasn't included in her list, but she had convinced herself it was necessary. She wouldn't feel guilty afterwards. After all, Jaime Lannister was a spitting image of his beloved sister. Surely his heart was equally cold, and therefore no harm would be done while taking it.

Jon

He heard the knock on his door as soon as he was done reading Jaime Lannister's note. It was short but perfectly clear, though it rose millions of questions he was unable to answer. How had the male Lannister managed to send such note without the queen taking notice?How was it possible to trust what the note read, especially given the fact that it was written by the one person known as "the man without honor"? What kind of trick was he playing at him?

"Come in" he said and his voice sounded tired between his thoughts.

"Am I disturbing you, milord?" Davos asked as he entered the room.

"No, I do need a break. Is it something specific you want, sir Davos?"

"It is, actually. See, for a while now I've been in touch with a boy I've been helping. He's a smith, and a good one from what I can tell. Until recently he worked at a forge in Flea Bottom, I myself sent him there. But I received a letter from him, telling me the situation in King's Landing keeps getting worse. The queen knows no mercy. The crowds are disappointed and they fear for their lives. I took the initiative to invite him here, in Winterfell. We need good smiths and the kid is honorable. I hope there is no problem in allowing him entrance here."

Jon listened to the man's words carefully and it occurred to him that something about this story wasn't quite right.

"I would gladly accept a smith, but, sir Davos, why is this lad so important to you? In what way did you help him?"

It took several moments before he answered, which betrayed that he was indeed hiding something.

"The boy needed my help, and so I handed it. He was in great danger."

"You couldn't be more specific, sir Davos" Jon said with the hint of a smile and that was when Davos decided it was worthless trying to hide.

"The smith was to be executed on command of lord Stannis Baratheon. Due to the Red Woman's influence, Stannis was convinced the boy needed to be sacrificed."