Picking Flower Petals

Elena's POV
It's been a week of sleepless nights and endless day dreams. Every time I close my eyes and pray for the comfort of  sleep I am hounded by dreams of Damon and I. Damon holding my hand, Damon tickling me, Damon kissing me, and Damon doing things to me that shouldn't be discussed at the dinner table.
So I've avoided sleep, if I don't sleep I don't see Damon, and if I don't see Damon every night, I can at least pretend to not have feelings for him.
At least tonight I know I can sleep soundly because today is Stefan and mine's one year anniversary. I've been marking the days off on my calendar for a month now waiting for what Stefan has planned for me, I know it will be special and intimate. Everything I could ever hope for. And everything that will keep my mind off Damon.

Stefan's POV
I walk into class and look for Elena, when my eyes find her, I try hard not to shudder. Her eyes are blood shot and she has dark circles under her eyes.
But when she sees me her whole face lights up and she is able to muster a smile, teeth and everything.
I sit in the desk right across from her in my usual seat and she reaches for my hand and intertwines her fingers with mine.
For a couple of seconds it's silent nothing but the rustling of papers and the clicking of pens.
Elena cocks her head to the side and looks expectantly at me.
"Sooo.... your playing the I forgot card aren't you, very clever Stefan,"
"Forgot what,"
She giggles.
"Stefan wow your really good at keeping a straight face , I can almost believe that you forgot.

The sad truth is I did forget. I forgot our one year anniversary.

Damon's POV
"What do you mean you forgot your anniversary Elena has been talking about it for months,"

I shout over speaker phone as I am sitting in the hospital parking lot, about to pick up more blood bags. It's weird lately the bags have been disappearing faster than normal. 

"I don't know I've been so caught up with other things it just slipped my mind, you need to help me Damon! Elena thinks I have this huge thing planned and I have nothing but a year old Twinkie in my locker." 

I know what Elena would want.
"Don't worry brother I've got this covered,"

Elena's POV
"He loves me, he loves me not."

 I pull off the delicate petals of the daisy and let them float, dance, and twirl all the way to the ground. The only question is who I am I asking the flower to tell me about.

"Is it Damon or Stefan, Damon or Stefan?" 

The last name I say before the flower is reduced to a stem is the name that will always and forever be the right choice "Stefan." The flower gave me the perfect choice but ... was it the one I truly wanted?

---------------
~Later that evening~ 

I walk up the front steps to the house, it's a chilly night and the only lights are the distant glow of the street lamps. I take my hands out of my pocket only long enough to unlock the door and high tail my way inside to the centrally heated house. 

I am about to head up stairs, snuggle into bed and get cozy under my covers with a good Jane Austin book. When a I feel a coat being draped over me.

"Can't have my girlfriend being cold can I?" 

I turn around to see Stefan, he's wearing Levi's jeans and a white shirt.

He guides me over to a picnic in front of the fire place. We sit down, the fire glowing, the embers black and dying down as if the world was about to go to sleep and Stefan and I were the only ones awake.

"It's perfect, Stefan,"

 I sigh running my hand along the plush blanket and the designer pillows.

"Just hold me." 

I beg, he wraps his arms around me but yet I can't find the least bit of prosperity. It's almost like someone else's arms were supposed to be there instead of Stefan's.

I remember once telling Damon what my perfect date would be like.

He joked that if he were there it wouldn't be so perfect anymore. But somehow this perfect date doesn't seem complete without Damon.

I sit up abruptly causing Stefan to release me from his grip.
"Stefan you didn't plan this date did you," 

He looks at me as though he isn't surprised I accused him.

"No, I didn't this morning when I said I had forgot I really did. I'm really sorry it's just lately our relationship has felt like it's been on auto-pilot. Elena you haven't been as open with me."

"Stefan, I'm sorry, I'm trying but it isn't as though you've been trying to put effort into fixing things between us either."

"I know it's just so hard to see myself fighting for you when I at you and you're always looking at Damon."

"He's a friend Stefan."

"It doesn't feel like he's just that to you anymore. I know what falling in love with someone looks like because I saw you fall in love with me and now I see you gravitating towards him. "

"You know I'd never want to do anything to hurt you. I don't know that I love him, but I know that I love you Stefan. I promised that I will love you forever and I don't intend on breaking that promise. I won't give up our love for a school girl crush. "

"I don't want to be with you out of a promise. I love you Elena, but if you have unresolved for  Damon I don't think I can be with you anymore."

"I don't know what I want with him. I know I love you and I know feel safe with you."

"Are you in love with me and only me?"

"I... "

"I... don't know. "

"You hesitated. Love is one thing you have to be sure about. "

"Goodbye Elena." He kisses my forehead with salty tears rolling down both our faces. 

He looks into my eyes one last time, before flashing out. I go into the hallway to catch the last glimpse of the fairy tale loved we share. But he was gone, the door a jar and the wind whipping.

Damon. 

I want to talk to him. He's been my best friend since before my feelings surfaced. I want to to talk to him to try to figure out what this all means and just so I can hear his heart beat and know that its partially beating for me. I pick up my phone and dial Damon's number.

"Damon we need to talk,"