Chapter Twenty-Three

The rain had ceased when Lee and Herman finally brought their horses to a stop, "We can let 'em rest a while. There ain't no way Brody and Thomas will be able to track us tonight," Lee grumbled.

Sally bit her lip to keep from crying out in pain when Herman grabbed her by the back of her shirt and threw her down on the wet, muddy ground. Lee threw Max down beside her.

"I'm going to try to ride ahead just a bit and see how close we are to that river and just how swollen it is. We may have to find another way 'round," Lee stated.

Herman nodded as he sat down on a rock and chewed his fingernail, "I'll keep our guests company," he assured the other man.

Lee rode off into the darkness and Sally gave Max a wink. The boy was clearly scared to death but Sally was going to get him out of this. When he saw her wink he seemed to relax just a little. Sally was going to get them back to Thomas and then she was going to tell Thomas all she had heard Lee and Herman say about his old Captain as they'd been riding tonight.

"Herman..?" Sally whispered, adding just a bit of a helpless and breathless quality to her voice.

Herman stopped chewing his dirty nail and looked at her skeptically, "What?"

"My wrists hurt," she whimpered. She knew that most men couldn't resist a damsel in distress and she hoped that went for murderers and crazy men as well.

"What do you want me to do about it?" he demanded.

Sally batted her lashes and bit her lip as she looked over at him. He had lit a small light that he'd pulled from a bag on his saddle to illuminate the darkness, "Maybe you could untie them just for a bit?" she asked.

When she saw that he was about to refuse she leaned forward. She knew that the top buttons of her blouse had come undone and her breasts would be nearly visible in the glowing fire light, "I'd make it worth your while."

"You would huh?" Herman licked his lips, "Aww what the hell? Part of taking you was so that we could have some fun with you. I might as well get started."

She watched him undo his gun belt and toss it and his knife aside. Clearly he wanted to make sure she didn't have a weapon within her reach, "Untie me, Herman. You won't regret it," she whispered as she raised her brow suggestively. Men were so foolish sometimes. Bite your lip, show them some breasts and their entire brain turned to mush.

"What about the boy?" Herman asked.

"You won't watch will you, Max?" Sally asked and Max looked at her as if he couldn't believe what she was doing.

"Thomas will not like this!" he cried.

Sally frowned, "Thomas is nothing. This man got the best of Thomas and if Thomas shows up he wouldn't stand a chance," she argued.

Herman smiled broadly as he stood up and stuck out his chest, "Listen to her, you damn Mexican. She's a smart woman."

"I don't know about that... .I am awful lonely though. Thomas focuses all his time on the boy," Sally pouted as she too stood and walked close enough to Herman that her breasts were brushing against his chest. She had to fight to hide her complete and utter disgust as he smiled and she smelled his rotten breath and teeth.

"Turn around," he urged.

Sally did and she smiled when she felt him untie her wrists. She rubbed the soreness from them as she turned back around and before she could say or do anything he grabbed her by her hair and threw her down on the muddy ground, covering her body with his and pressing his mouth to hers roughly.