Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

***

Sally pulled the ham out of the oven and sat it on the table beside the fresh baked bread and the greens Max had just sat out. She looked out the window at the pouring rain and the darkening sky and frowned. Where was Thomas? She couldn't help but worry as a bolt of lightning lit up the darkness and thunder shook the windows.

"Don't be scared," Max said comfortingly as he patted her arm, "Senor Cooper will be home soon."

Sally smiled down at him, "I know." She walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a deck of cards. "Do you know how to play poker?" she asked.

Max smiled and nodded enthusiastically, "My papa taught me."

Sally brought the lantern over to the table to further illuminate the growing darkness inside and sat down, "Let's play then."

After several hands of poker, which Max won much to Sally's surprise, Sally saw how tired the boy was becoming. She made him a plate of food and told him to eat while she walked out onto the porch to watch for her husband. Darkness had fallen, and the rain was still coming down hard. At least the thunder and lightning had moved away. She sat in the swing and before she knew it, the sound of the rain against the tin roof above her had her drifting off to sleep.

"Looky here, Lee! I believe the woman is a bit on the tired side." Sally's eyes flew open at the unfamiliar male voice and she nearly screamed when she saw the two dirty men standing on the porch in front of her. Her first instinct was to go for her gun but she then she remembered that she had taken it off earlier and it was in her bedroom inside the cabin.

"Who are you?!" Sally demanded as she rose to her feet and tried to hide her fear behind false bravado.

The red haired, beard covered man, with mean black eyes and rotten teeth feigned hurt, "Are ya saying you don't recognize me?"

Sally stared at him and then her eyes widened as recognition dawned. This was the man that had been Thomas's prisoner all those months ago. What was he doing here and who was this other man?

"My husband is inside," she warned. "You men better leave."

Lee chuckled and shook his head as he spit on the wooden floor boards of the porch, "Nope. Tommy isn't here. We made sure he'll be nice and busy in town for a while. That was a nice try though," he reached out a hand and ran his finger across her cheek, "You are a pretty thing."

Sally slapped his hand away and felt fear fill her. She wondered if these men meant to kill her or if they were here to do worse. Then she remembered Max in the house and felt her fear multiply tenfold.

"You're gonna come with us now," the ex-prisoner said.

Sally shook her head, "No I'm not." she hissed. She was fully prepared to punch this short red haired men in his rotten teeth when the bigger, dark haired man grabbed her arm and threw her down on the porch. She refused to scream or let him know how badly he was hurting her as he put his knee in her back and tied her hands behind her. She felt desperation fill her when the cabin door opened and Max stepped out, "What are you doing?!" he exclaimed with fear.

Sally looked at the tiny boy, "Run, Max!" she screamed but it was too late.

Lee stood and brought his hand down hard on the side of Max's head. Max let out a cry of pain as the men laughed, "Not only did that son of a bitch kill two of my men to save this skinny little brat but then he took him in!" Lee exclaimed as he gripped Max's upper arms tightly.

Sally grunted with disgust when the ex-prisoner grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. He pressed his face against her cheek, breathing in her scent and when he pulled back just a bit, she head butted him hard in the temple, "Dammit!" he exclaimed as he stumbled back.