Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Ellie's eyes scanned the dark, damp cellar that Otis had left her in. He hadn't bothered tying her up since there were no windows and the only door had a heavy bolt lock on the outside. The room stunk of mildew, and bottles of liquor filled the shelves on the walls. She knew she was beneath Otis's saloon.

She had been here for what felt like close to an hour and she could hear the sounds of boots and chairs scraping across the floor above her head. She could hear men laughing and talking and the saloon ladies laughing and flirting. Ellie could only pray that her sister wasn't one of those women.

Every bit of her fear was now gone and in its place was nothing but anger. All she wanted was to make Otis pay for what he had put her through the last ten years. She wanted to see him answer for everything he had done to her sister while she had been in his hands.

Ellie let out an angry screech and grabbed a bottle of liquor from the shelves. She threw it with all her might and it crashed against the stone wall, shattering and sending liquor spraying across the room.

The mess it made gave Ellie a small moment of satisfaction and she grabbed another bottle. Maybe if she made enough noise Otis would come down here and she could crack one of the bottles open on his big fat head.

***

"What can I do for you, Atkinson." Chief Buckner said as he sat in his chair and folded his hands on his large belly.

"You've let yourself go, Buckner." Brody mused as he looked at the straining buttons of the man's vest.

Chief Buckner chuckled causing that impressive belly to bounce, "Married life made me a bit lazy, I'm afraid. I blame it on all that good home cooking."

Brody stuck his thumbs through his belt loops and leaned against the wall, "I don't have that problem. My old woman doesn't cook."

Jacob let out an irritated grunt as he paced back and forth across the office floor, "Can we get to business please!?" he exclaimed.

Chief Buckner threw Brody a questioning gaze, "His fiancée's been kidnapped," Brody replied to his unspoken question.

"She's not my fiancée,'" Jacob argued distractedly.

Brody shook his head, "Of course she is and just as soon as you pull your head out of your own ass you'll realize that I'm right," Brody looked back at Chief Buckner. "That's why I need your help."

"I'll do what I can for you, Atkinson. Do you know who took her?"

"Otis Black," Jacob said, never slowing down his back and forth trek across the office.

Chief Buckner's face paled considerably and he shook his head, "I can't help you, Atkinson."

Brody pushed himself off the wall and crossed his arms over his chest, "And why is that, Buckner?"

Chief Buckner's chair creaked beneath him as he began pushing papers around on his desk and avoiding Brody and Jacob's gazes, "Otis Black and his band of followers own this town. They are untouchable."

"Well I plan on touching them. I was hoping you'd help out," Brody replied frigidly.

Chief Buckner shook his head, "I can't."

Brody sneered, "Never took you for a coward."

"I am not a coward. I'm just smart," Chief Buckner replied, "And you both would do well to take my advice and leave Otis Black alone."