Thomas let out a long breath as he fought the urge to hug her tight and take all her pain away. This was why he had to get away, "You're only thirteen, Sally, you don't know what love is."

Her eyes flashed with anger, "Yes I do, Thomas Cooper, and I love you."

"In a few years, Sally, you'll be old enough and you'll meet somebody and he'll sweep you off your feet. He's just not me."

"Get out!" Sally exclaimed as she swung her hand and tried to strike him. "Get out of here right now or else I'll tell Brody that you hurt me!"

"You wouldn't..." Thomas said as his eyes narrowed.

"Oh yes I will. You get out of here or I'll tell him you did things to me."

"I ain't touched you," Thomas countered, feeling his anger grow. He knew she was only saying these things because she was young and hurt but that still didn't give her any right to threaten to lie about him.

"Leave if that's what you want to do, Thomas. I hate you anyhow." Sally flopped down on the bed and buried her face in her pillow.

Thomas felt an ache in his chest as he reached down and touched her golden hair with just the tips of his fingers, "Bye, Sally." he whispered, though he knew she would ignore him. 'Someday you'll understand why I had to leave,' he added silently.

With a heavy heart he put his hat back on and walked out of the doc's house. He jumped on his horse and headed out of town, unsure of when, or if, he'd ever come back.

***

A week came and went quickly. Ellie was still waiting on word from Otis that just didn't seem to be coming. She wondered if he was going to help her get home or she if she was going to have to find her own way.

She and Jacob hadn't done any more than have simple conversations over dinner since the night he'd given her back her glasses. She was kept busy with housework, watching the babies and caring for Sally, and Jacob was kept busy trying to fill the void that Thomas had left on the ranch.

Ellie wondered when she would get her first payday for her job. She truly didn't want to take the money but she knew that was her only way home because she certainly wasn't going to steal anything from Jacob's family. Just thinking about leaving made her heart hurt but she knew she had no choice.

She made her way down the hall to Sally's room with a tray loaded down with fresh cut apples, eggs, bacon and toast for her breakfast, "Good morning, Sally." she called as she walked into the girl's room.

"Morning," Sally mumbled, though she didn't return Ellie's smile. "I see you're still stealing my sisters dresses," she added, looking Ellie up and down.

Ellie looked down at the blue calico dress she was wearing and shook her head, "This is your sisters dress but I'm not stealing. I don't intend to keep it."

"That makes it all better then," Sally snapped sarcastically.

Ellie closed her eyes and counted to ten to calm her temper. She didn't understand how someone as kind as Jacob could have raised someone as mean and hateful as Sally, "Here's your breakfast," Ellie replied, setting the tray down on Sally's lap. "I'll just sit here while you eat and then once your done I'll help you bathe and we can go sit outside for a little while."

"Fine." Sally stabbed violently at her eggs with her fork. Sally's moodiness had gotten worse since her accident. Whether that was from pain and being cooped up or from Thomas leaving, Ellie wasn't sure.

"So, are you in love with my brother?" Sally asked after several minutes of silence.

Ellie looked up from her book and shrugged, "I don't know your brother well enough to love him, Sally. I just work here, helping with the day to day chores and caring for the babies and you and your sister."