"Damn you, man! How many times have I told you not to tell me what to do?!" Elizabeth's voice replied, sounding annoyed. "Besides I'm not alone. Susie and the babies are with me."

"That just makes it worse!" Brody exclaimed.

"What were you thinking, Brody Atkinson? Leaving Susie scared to death and alone at that house?" Elizabeth demanded as she came into doctor's house with Lexi held against her chest. Susie was following behind her and Brody was bringing up the rear with Bryant in his arms.

Brody looked as if he had just been thoroughly put in his place, "I was just thinking about getting Sally here. I wasn't thinking about nothing else."

Elizabeth turned and put her hand on her husband's rough cheek, "I know. I'm sorry I got angry and I'm sorry that I came to town alone. But I have my revolver."

Brody's eyes softened, just a bit, as he looked down at her. Ellie suddenly felt awkward as she watched them. They clearly were only seeing each other right now.

"I done lost you once, cowgirl." Brody whispered, "I don't like the thought of losing you again."

Elizabeth pressed a gentle kiss to his mouth in response and then turned her attention to everyone else in the room. She smiled with triumph when she saw how closely Alice and Jacob were standing, "Has the doctor said anything yet?" she asked.

"She's going to be alright." Doctor Montgomery replied, stepping into the room. "She's still asleep but she did wake up momentarily after I set her leg. She's going to be in a lot of pain but I don't want to give her much morphine or laudanum."

"Her leg?" Elizabeth asked.

Doctor Montgomery wiped his brow, "Broken. I'd like her to stay here for the night so I can keep an eye on that head but she should be able to go home tomorrow. She's going to be stuck in the bed or chair for awhile until that leg heals."

"Thank you, Doctor," Jacob said.

Brody growled and kissed his sons dark hair, "If I had shown up just two minutes sooner, I could have stopped her."

"Don't blame yourself, Brody. Sally knew it was dangerous. We all warned her. She just doesn't listen," Jacob assured his brother as he laid a gentle hand on the small of Ellie's back.

She stiffened at first at the intimacy of the contact but then she found herself leaning into his hand and enjoying the warmth it provided... Warmth, hell, she was surprised she didn't melt to a puddle right there where she stood.

"I'm going to go check on her and then I'm going to get the supplies and Alice back to the house," Jacob stated. Elizabeth smiled at hearing Jacob used Alice's first name.

Ellie followed Jacob into the room and she stood in the corner while he went to the edge of the bed, "You are one stubborn girl, Sally Atkinson," he said and he bent and kissed her bandaged head.

He smoothed his hand over her blond hair and then turned, "Come on, I'll get you back to the house."

Ellie could see worry and concern etched into his face and all she wanted to do was ease his mind. She went to him and threw her arms around his neck, hugging him tight. She felt his arms close around her waist and then she felt his lips press against her hair. She'd never been kissed this way before, never been shown this kind of affection. She felt her heart break a little more.

Damn that Otis Black.

***

"Dammit, where is that fool girl?!" Thomas demanded as he burst into Doctor Montgomery's home later that evening.