chapter one: red blood and blue eyes

(hey everyone! sorry for such a long wait, my summer has been really busy so far. thank you to everyone who voted, read, and commented on the last chapter, that means so much to me!)
(disclaimer: i do not own LOK, ATLA, the characters, or the concept of Stranger Things. All rights to their original owners.)

i walk in the darkness
so that others may see light
-source unknown

Asami frowns at the headline of the paper.
"Norook's Noodles Owner found dead; Apparent Suicide?"
Bolin peers over her shoulder, then lets out a wail. She winces; that was his favorite restaurant. Though she could have cared less for the food, Asami liked Norook. He was a giant teddy bear and would help anyone in need who came his way.
"Oh nooooooooooo!" he moans. "I loved Norook! He was the best chef and so nice- remember when he gave us those free shirts?"
"Those shirts had his store logo on them, Bo," Mako says, appearing in the kitchen doorway. "It was basically advertising." He wrinkles his nose. "Plus, they smelled like grease."
Bolin pouts, and Mako gives. "Okay, okay, for real, it is a shame that he's dead."
He leans over Asami's shoulder to peek at the title.
"He doesn't seem like the kind to take his own life, though."
Bolin hums in agreement, and Asami folds the paper down then puts it on the table.
"I guess you never really know what's going on with someone behind their walls."
The apartment goes quite for a few moments, until Mako breaks it.
"Do you have to work tonight, 'Sami?"
Asami groans and leans on the kitchen counter. "I'm trying not to think about it."
"You know, you don't have to work." Bolin points out.
Asami nods. "I know. But that trust fund isn't going to last forever, and with you two going off to college soon I want to be prepared."
Mako rolls his eyes. "Okay, first of all, you sound like a mother. And we're not going anywhere, we'll be going to Republic City University, right where you are."
Bolin slings his arm around his older brothers shoulders. "Ahhhh, just what I wanted: four more years in Republic City."
Asami chuckled. "We'll get out of here one day. Nothing is keeping us here."

        ——————————————

Asami heaves the groceries up and quickens her pace. After working her shift at the diner she picked up noodles; she thought about making them in honor of Norook. Plus, it would put Bolin in a better mood.
Mako's words ring through her head.
"He doesn't seem like the kind to take his own life, though."
He has a point there. Norook was always so happy. His home life was good, as far as Bolin's reports go, and his little restaurant was thriving. Maybe he had some other problems.
A little voice whispered in the back of Asami's head. "Or, maybe, things aren't what they seem."
The metallic sound of a trash can lid falling jerks Asami from her thoughts. She pauses, looking around.
"Hello?" She calls out onto the dark street. No answer. Not a person in sight. She's alone.
Biting her lower lip, she starts walking again, at an even faster pace, trying to ignore the shiver going up her spine.
She can hear footsteps. In her peripheral vision, she sees a beefy arm come toward her.
Asami swings the groceries at the man's stomach, cheering mentally in triumph when she hears a little "oof!"
Asami takes off in a sprint, hair flying like a black banner behind her. The murky streets fade into  blurs as she pushes herself to run faster. Out of the blur a body moves, knocking her to the ground.
She cries as heat spikes up her wrist. A hand roughly grabs her forearm, then pushes her into a wall.
She opens her eyes blearily, and finds herself faced two men, one muscular and staring stonily behind the other lean one that is gripping her arm.
He gives her a smile. "Give us your money, and no one gets hurt."
Asami winces. His breath reeks of cigarettes.
"I don't have any money," she lies, feeling her wallet pressing against her.
Lean Man sighs and reaches into his back pocket.
"Guess we'll have to do this the hard way." he says in mock regret.
There's a flash of silver, and suddenly a knife is pressed against Asami's throat.
Honestly, she should have seen it coming. That doesn't stop her from being scared. She should do something like kick him, or punch him, but the only thing she can think is "not this way not this way not this way I can't die this way"
She chokes out an "I don't-" and the man sighs again.
"It looks like she's no use to us," he calls over his shoulder to his beefy friend, who gives a grunt in response.
"Sorry, darling." he says, sounding entirely unapologetic, and raises the knife, and Asami is frozen and hot tears are streaming down her face because it can't end right here Mako and Bolin need her but its going to end like this its going to end-
She hears a a body slam into the pavement, and the weight is removed from her body. Asami stumbles forward, falling to her knees. She raises her eyes, and her attackers are on the ground, apparently unconscious. To her right, she hears a rustle of clothing. Asami whips her head around to see the silhouette of- a girl?
From what Asami can see she's short, well built, and has long hair flowing down her back. The mystery girls arm is outstretched, and she is visibly shaking. Asami moves to her feet. The girl must hear her move, because she snaps around to face Asami. The dark haired girl gasps lightly.
She can't see her defining features, but one thing she can see is Mystery Girls eye's. They're a bright, bright blue, like they sky, but that isn't what makes her gasp.
Those eyes are downright terrified. Like someone poured liquid fear into them.
Asami stretches out her hand.
"Do you need help-"
Before she can finish her sentence, Mystery Girl grabs one of the discarded grocery bags, and bolts. 
"Hey!" Asami cries, but the girl doesn't turn back.
Confused, scared, and tired, Asami shivers and makes her way back to the apartment.
Mako is going to kill her.
            —————— ——————
I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT
The girl walks faster, clutching the grocery bag close to her chest.
She really shouldn't have done that.
They're already on her trail. Using her elemental powers in public will only make it worse.
But.
She just couldn't stand seeing another innocent person get hurt. Not after Norook.
Not after he had so graciously given her noodles after she had been caught stealing.
Not after he had given her a shirt to wear over her hospital gown so her shivering finally ceased.
Not after he had gently coaxed her into telling him her name, and didn't press any farther when the only thing she had been able to choke out was "Avatar."
Not after he had called the Child Protective Services with the best intentions in mind.
Not after so called Child Protective Services member had turned out to be one of them and shot him in the head.
Not after the bright red of his blood seeped out over the polished hardwood floors and all Korra had been able to do is run.
The girl finally arrived at the little cardboard box she had come to call home. She crammed inside and clutched the bag closer to her chest.
Closing her eyes, she feels The Power thrum within her, begging to be released again.

It felt so right to do that.