A Drunk Man's Words

LIAM                 

Undelivered. All 8 texts refused to send from Liam’s phone as promptly as the 8 shots he swallowed backstage after the Denver show. Liam was on top of the world, even if he could barely see the view, but one of his favorite girls, his best lady friend, you, were not there to celebrate. He didn’t understand why you were not there amongst the chaos and jubilation. The way the alcohol coated his brain wasn’t making it any easier to comprehend either.

“Did she ba-bla-block me?” Closing his eyes as he crashed down on the couch between Mazz and Andy, Liam asked while beginning to nurse a beer.

“Who?” Maz stopped cackling long enough to ask.

“[Y/N]. My texts don’t go…through.” He slurred, cradling his Iphone in his hand.

“No. She’s at the airport. Maybe, she’s turned it off.” Andy interjected, leaning forward to pour another row of GST shots for his close mates.

“What?!” Like a crocodile with a meaty leg in between its teeth, Liam snapped. “Why!?” You weren’t leaving. You were supposed to come along with him for another week. He had plans. There was going to be a dinosaur exhibit in the next city and a water park after that. He had seen you just three hours before and pushed you around the backstage corridors in a wheel barrow he found in a storage closet, both of you laughing as if you were children again. You had looked so beautiful, all grown up to him, in your lace cami and silk shorts, a far cry from the grape juice stained toddler who used to make mud pies with him in his mother’s garden.

“What’s his name called…said he wanted to work on things…” Maz didn’t know very much of your business. You two were only friends due to mutually adoring Liam, but Liam had filled him in here and there about your life, your ex-boyfriend having played with you like a yo-yo, winding you up, letting you fall, and then bringing you back to him. It was an on-going battle that Liam had been trying not to think about since it only infuriated him.

“No….” His mouth rounded into the shape of perfect Christmas orange, his eyes following in size, as he despised what he was hearing. He might have been three sheets to the wind, but he could still recognize where this road was going to lead you. “We got to go! Let’s go.” He stumbled up onto his feet, checking his pockets for his keys, but Andy was quick to jump up and put Liam back down on the couch.

“You can’t drive anywhere, mate. She’s a big girl, she can handle herself.” Not sure he really believed himself, Andy advised. He couldn’t see Liam being much use to anyone right now anyway. He probably wasn’t even able to spell his name.

“No, no, no. We have to go. I want to say things…and goodbye…and tell her no…” Shaking his head vigorously, Liam persisted. “I have a car with a man who drives it!” Throwing his arm up above him, he made the whole room aware of it with how loud he was speaking. “I’m going to go.”

Andy tried once more to convince Liam to wait until the morning and just call you then, but he wasn’t having any of that nonsense. He managed to wobble his way to one of the men on One Direction’s generous security team and rode in the backseat, eyes closed and hands clammy, the entire way to the Denver International Airport.

Even though he was as drunk as everyone’s favorite aunt at a wedding, Liam still could use his celebrity card to his advantage. He had the driver do most of his talking since his slurs were starting to sound a bit like a foreign language, but the customer service agent for British Airways gave him the information for your flight. He only had a half hour to get through a massive security line and find your gate, but again, he played the fame card like a high roller in Vegas, focused on his goal.