Chapter Eight

Day 1

Several men were going to die, king was sure of it. He glanced around the battlefield. His army consisted of infantry, swordsmen, archer, crossbow men, elephants, bricoles, canons, and every weapon he owned. Enemies burnt and looted many villages ruthlessly. All of this came down to a war.

Prosperity and health was best friend of his kingdom. It was obvious that people didn't meet with untimely death, let alone, a war. And most important, he had his spiritual master by his side.

And now that he lost many of his villages, his heart was engulfed with the guilt of losing innocent lives. Only if he could go back in time and send few troops of soldiers to protect these villages. Only if he could kick Chiran out of this kingdom. None of this would've happened. It was just because of his stupidity to believe piosnous words of Chiran that led the entire kingdom in danger.

And how can he forget the loss of his beloved spiritual master? His eyes turned blur and they filled with tears. 'It's all because of me. I'm responsible for this loss.' he gripped his bow. 'No! I must do something.'

He looked at the soldiers assembled before him in groups. He could see tired and depressed faces. He knew they weren't happy with his decision. But what could he do? He was ordered by his spiritual master to take this drastic step. Yes, he had gone to see Brajdas just before finalizing the decision. That was what he was doing while walking in the cave path.

King closed his eyes. He shouldn't let his emotions overpower his mind. He had important things to do, for example, motivating his soldiers. "Listen, I know you are angry, sad, even depressed." he opened his eyes and looked at them again. "But right now, I need you. The kingdom needs you. Everything is at stake, even your own lives. We have lost much already and we can't afford that in future. Think of those villagers. These people has dared to provoke a war by walking over the dead bodies of innocent ones. If they won, many lives will suffer. But remember, this moment is in your hands. I need you to fight as if it's the last battle you're fighting. Fight for those villagers, for your lives, for this kingdom, and for our beloved Acharya." his voice echoed throughout the battlefield.

He turned around. He had been standing on his chariot since a while now. He could see his enemies have assembled already. They were indeed more in quantity with bigger weapons. He gripped his bow tight, "this day, we shall not pray for our lives. Let us pray for unlimited energy to fight against the army. Let us pray to have strength enough to save millions of innocent lives back inside the fortress. Let us take the blessings of the greatest Vaishnava, Lord Shiva." he took a deep breath. It was now or never.

King Vishnugupta screamed, "Har Har Mahadev!"

The army repeated and started to run toward the enemy. King pulled the arrow and aimed at the archers before him, toward the chest of the leading person. He blew his arrow as the crowd collided with one another. The arrow pierced the chest and landed on the grassy ground, covered with blood.

His aim was to kill as many archers as he could before he reach King Leon. He let out a frustrated sigh as he stretched his arms and aimed at another archer again. Before he could even shoot his arrow, another bow passed by him, which was just an inch away. He looked in the direction and shot two bows, killing the soldier on the horse.

King Vishnugupta continued to shoot one now after another killing the archers on either chariot or the horses. His furious pace was not missed by any soldier regardless of sides. The enemies saw him as an angry lion, ready to deavor the prey while the Bharatvarsha soldiers noticed a heroic entity who would die for saving his people.

Vishnugupta's eyes landed at a swordsman on horse cutting the neck of an archer of his side. King's grip tightened around the bow.

They are cheating! Swordsman was supposed to kill another soldier with same weapon.