Chapter Four

"Why the Supreme Lord's devotees are sometimes poverty stricken?" I raised my eye brows at them. Two of my friends looked at each other. It had been three days since the debate. I had just returned from the school with my friends and decided to have a good discussion in the evening. We sat circling each other in the middle of the hall.

"Well, maybe Krsna is testing their patience." the one with red saree, hazel green eyes, and braided straight hair spoke. My eyes weren't like her, they were instead a light shade of brown.

I nodded and I looked at her, "well done Anita, you're very near."

She shook her head and laughed, "means that's not the whole answer. Why am I always wrong?"

"maybe He is waiting for right opportunity to give wealth." another one with blue saree, curly braided hair, and brown eyes spoke.

I shook my head and smiled, "yes, you're right Megha. He waits for the right opportunity. But there's something more. You know Krsna loves us all and eager to take us back, right?" My father came out of the room in front of me. He wore normal saffron dhoti and a grey cloth on the chest. He smiled at me as he passed by. I returned the smile and continued, "sometimes it may seem like He is strict with His devotees. But He does that to force His beloved souls to advance. You see, He is using short cut method by turning our karma in a certain way. Otherwise we would take million years and repeated births to reach high level."

Knocking sound made me stop and I looked back. It was Chiran and a woman, probably his wife. I blinked. Was it for real that he is here? But why?

I gulped and gripped my green saree. My silky black hair tied in a brand rested on my chest. I put the back end of my saree on my head and raised an eyebrow at him.

"I don't agree with you on this point, " did he hear the entire conversation?

I nodded and turned toward my friends. I didn't want to have a debate with him.

"May I ask you a question?" he said behind me. He sounded closer than I could think.

I stood up and turned toward him, "yes?"

He looked at me with his black eyes and adjusted his orange turban. He wore dark blue dhoti and purple kurta on chest. His height is small as compared to my father. "well, first, devotees face problems and that's the end of it. Why would God be so cruel? Why would He give problems to the ones who devote everything to Him? That's just unfair."

I shook my head, "who told you that devotees are always poor and face troubles? You can look at the examples fo many kings from the past. The Pandavas, Maharaj Dhruva, Maharaj Prahlad, even King Vishnugupta. They are rich aren't they?

"And plus, everyone here in Bharatvarsha is devoted to Him. People are happy and prosperous. Perhaps that's why you came here at first place: to get benefit of prosperity. So this is His mercy. "

Chiran chuckled and shook his head, "you've got good brains girl. But let me ask you a simple question. What if your life turns around and show you opposite side of the coin? What if you suffer every single minute without having a single penny? Would you still say the same thing? Because I've seen all around me in the west. People became atheist, logical that too, after facing unlimited troubles. They used to praise Him, just like you guys." he motioned her and her friends, "but after facing atrocities, they started disgracing Him."

Well that's a point. But I have an answer. Just as I was about to speak I heard a throat clearing voice behind me. I turned around and saw father smiling at me. I sighed. Finally. He is here to save me from Chiran. Father's smile faded when he saw the person standing before me.