A Familiar Story

Fitzwilliam was gone a very long time, taking Miss Elizabeth back to the inn. So long that Georgiana wondered if he had prevailed, and won the other woman's hand and heart ... and then wondered if he had been in an accident on the road. Neither seemed believable: Miss Elizabeth appeared unmovable, and Fitzwilliam was an excellent horseman. But Georgiana was at a loss to explain his lengthy absence otherwise.

At last she determined to retire and began getting ready for bed. She was brushing her hair before the mirror when she heard swift footsteps in the hall and a light tap on her door. "Georgiana."

"Come in!"

He opened the door and stepped in, looking pale and distressed. "There has been a ... a change in my plans. I must go to London immediately."

"What happened?" It wasn't good; that much she could see from his face. "Has someone been injured?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes." He started to speak, then caught himself. "I do not know when I will be able to return."

"Fitzwilliam, you must tell me more than that. What happened to you this evening?"

"I have no wish to hurt you."

"Me? What do I have to do with it?" A dreadful thought struck her. "Did I do, or say, something to offend Miss Elizabeth? Has she done something rash?"

"No, not in the least. She found you delightful."

"Did she? I'm glad to hear it. But if that's not the trouble, what is?"

"When we arrived at their lodging, a letter was awaiting Miss Elizabeth. It appears ..." He took Georgiana's hand, squeezing it tightly. "It appears her youngest sister has run off, with someone I am afraid we know all too well."

Weakness flooded Georgiana, and she groped for her chair, sinking into it. Oh, yes, she remembered him, his soft words and charming smile, his exciting promises and his gentle fingers stroking her arm. She swallowed against her sudden nausea. "Mr. Wickham," she whispered. "Miss Elizabeth's sister has eloped with Mr. Wickham?"

Fitzwilliam's lips tightened. "My understanding of the situation is that elopement is the best one could hope for."

Georgiana closed her eyes, trying to ward off memories of the enticing whispers that had almost convinced her that elopement was the best course for herself, as well.

"How could she do such a thing?" Fitzwilliam said, more to himself than to his sister.

"Because she could not imagine a day without him," Georgiana said.

Fitzwilliam reached for her hand, squeezing tightly. "And because she had no loving family to stop her."

They both remembered the day he had found her hand-in-hand with Mr. Wickham. Once her suitor had left, in her innocent eagerness to share her excitement with her brother and gain his approval, she had told Fitzwilliam everything about Wickham's plans. He had listened with patience, asking detailed questions about the courtship. Only then had he left her to seek out Wickham, making it clear to that gentleman that if he ran off with Georgiana without her family's consent and approval, which he would never gain, her fortune would never come into his hands.

Georgiana had not seen Wickham again, and for a long time she had blamed her brother for her lover's defection. Later, with time and distance between them, she had thought more clearly about the things Wickham had said. All the wonderful things he'd wanted to do had been so expensive, and he had spoken so sharply about Fitzwilliam that for a brief while even she had begun to see her brother as Wickham saw him. Wickham had never wanted to listen to her play the pianoforte, and he had never asked her about her interests or her dreams for the future. He had taken for granted that she wanted what he wanted. Or, probably more accurate, he had never cared what she wanted at all.

She had gradually come to understand Fitzwilliam's actions and to forgive him for having stepped in on her behalf, but the topic remained undiscussed, both of them preferring to pretend that Mr. Wickham had never come between them. Georgiana knew what it cost Fitzwilliam to talk about him even now. What she could not guess was how this turn of events affected her brother's feelings for Miss Elizabeth Bennet. The runaway sister appeared destined to be tied to Mr. Wickham permanently; could Fitzwilliam still consider allying himself with the family under those circumstances? Assuming Miss Elizabeth would have eventually accepted his suit in the first place, of course.

"So you remained with Miss Elizabeth and Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner for some time as they discussed what to do?"

Fitzwilliam looked discomfited. "It took Miss Elizabeth a long while to calm down from her initial distress. Naturally I waited to be certain she was in full command of herself. It was not my place to assist them in their decision-making." He glanced down at his boots. "Nor do I imagine there is much to decide. The girl is hopelessly compromised; they will have to see to it that Wickham marries her or she ruins the entire family."

"Will he marry her? If—if he wouldn't marry me without my fortune, and Miss Elizabeth's sister has no fortune ..." Georgiana let the words trail off, feeling very tired and saddened. "How old is she, Fitzwilliam?"

"Fifteen, I believe. Just the age—"

"That I was." She sighed heavily. "Poor girl."

"Yes. Yes, poor girl indeed," Fitzwilliam said. His tone was stronger now, and he stood up straighter.

Georgiana remembered what he had said when he had first come into her room. "And you are going to go to London?"

Fitzwilliam shrugged, looking uncomfortable. "You may tell me it isn't my place, and you would be right to do so. But I know Wickham as Mr. Gardiner does not; I think I will have greater success not only in finding the fugitives, but in convincing Wickham to do the right thing by the young lady."

"Will you tell Miss Elizabeth what you did?"

"No!" His eyes flashed. "Assuming I can do anything at all, I will leave it as a secret, not to be told to her. I won't have her accepting my suit out of gratitude when she would not do so for love."

Georgiana nodded. It might not have been the course she would have chosen in her brother's shoes, but it was his way, and there was little point in arguing.

"How will you find them?"

"I unfortunately know a little of Mr. Wickham's habits. I will stay with Mr. Bingley, and will make my enquiries. I pray it will not be too late once I find them." His eyes fell on Georgiana. "I am sorry to have to bring up these memories."

"I can't go my whole life hiding from what I almost did." She stood up, reaching for his hand, and squeezed it reassuringly. "And I thank God you were there to keep me from it."

"As do I." He reached for her, pulling her close in a tight embrace. "I only hope I can do as much in this case."

Georgiana let him go, listening to the sound of his footsteps hurrying toward his own room to pack. She hoped so, too, feelng a kinship with this young girl, and a tremendous sympathy for her family.