A Day at Pemberley

Georgiana and Miss Elizabeth played harmoniously for some time. The gap between their skills was smaller than Georgiana had feared it might be; Miss Elizabeth would play better if she enjoyed it more. Her natural talent was limited, it seemed, but she also paid little attention to the flow of the music. Clearly her inclinations lay elsewhere.

"Do you paint, Miss Elizabeth?" she asked during a pause.

"No, not at all. Our education was not focused in the directions of those skills and talents." With a twinkling glance from her brown eyes, Miss Elizabeth smiled. "In truth, our education was quite unfocused. We learned what we chose to take an interest in, with the end result that we are all sadly unbalanced."

"Ah." Somewhat sadly, Georgiana said, "I received a rather more traditional education. I wonder what I might have chosen to take an interest in, if the opportunity had offered."

"Music seems to interest you well enough."

"Oh, yes, I love it! But no doubt there are more useful abilities to cultivate."

"I suppose that depends on what you intend to accomplish with your life. One might say you already delight the ear with your playing, which is of itself an accomplishment. My preferred hobby, reading, accomplishes much within myself, but does little for others."

Georgiana looked at her companion in surprise, not having expected such a candid or thoughtful response. "I'm certain your friends and family would disagree with you. " She hesitated, then added, "My brother certainly seems to see your value."

Miss Elizabeth's eyes widened, her mouth parting in surprise. She looked away, getting up from the piano bench. "Your brother is generous to say so," she said, her back to Georgiana.

Her aunt was sitting on a chair, hands folded in her lap. She watched Miss Elizabeth walk to the window, looking out over the lawns, but didn't add to the conversation.

So many questions hovered on the tip of Georgiana's tongue. 'Do you have intentions toward my brother?' 'Is his regard misplaced?' And, most importantly, 'do you love him?' But it was not her place to ask those questions, and the answers should be for Fitzwilliam's ears, not for Georgiana's or Mrs. Gardiner's, however much they both would have liked to hear them. Instead, rising from the bench, she asked, "Miss Elizabeth, would you like to take a turn in the gardens? I understand you enjoy walking."

"I do indeed." There was a soft smile on Miss Elizabeth's face as she turned from the window. As she couldn't possibly see all the way to the lake where the gentlemen were fishing, Georgiana wondered what thought had brought that look to her face. She quite liked it—the other lady looked far less daunting and more approachable with that quiet smile. "I should quite like to see the gardens at Pemberley."

Mrs. Gardiner had opted to remain within doors, reading a book she had found on the library shelves (not, to Georgiana's great relief, one from the governess's collection). As Georgiana and Miss Elizabeth strolled through the gardens, they linked arms. The conversation mostly kept to the gardens themselves, the plants and the difficulties with bugs. Both girls enjoyed the flowers without having any particular desire to learn over much about the details of their cultivation, and they laughed a little together over the shared shame.

"We are sad horticulturists, Miss Georgiana."

"We are indeed. Our families should be ashamed of us."