05

Once the clock hit 12:30, Lauren was practically dragging me outside of the office and towards the staircase leading to the floor levels below ours.

"How come we don't just take the elevator?" I asked quickly, struggling to keep up with her as our shoes slapped against the concrete steps, loudly filling the cramped space we occupied.

She looked over at me and shrugged, "We get more exercise this way, plus I hate that automatic voice that talks every five seconds. Zoe and Alice should be there already, so we gotta hurry." She rested her hand on my elbow gently, walking faster.

She pushed the metal door open as soon as we reached it, a large canteen area displayed in front of us as we entered. Towards the left were salad bars, vending machines, and cooks behind steaming plates of food. I rose a brow, turning my head to the countless amounts of tables and booths on the other side. Lauren pointed to a table a few feet away, leading me towards it.

"For a second we thought you weren't going to show." A skinny girl with long chocolate colored hair said, looking up at us. Lauren laughed, "Yeah right. Lunchtime is my favorite time."

I smiled and looked over at the other girl sitting at the table. She had shoulder length red hair and was curvier than the first girl.

"Oh, before I forget. Guys, this is Mia, she's our newest graphic designer." Lauren motioned towards me, both girls now looking right at me. I waved slightly, letting out a simple, "Hey."

The girl with longer hair smiled, her blue eyes lighting up, "Hi! I'm Zoe. It's nice to meet you, Mia."

The other girl nodded, "I'm Alice. I like your skirt."

I looked down at my outfit quickly, thanking her before they both stood up.

"Okay I need some food right now, I'm starved." Lauren spoke, already staring longingly at the serving counter. I nodded along with her and walked, the other girls joining as they dove into a conversation about how there was an argument just before we arrived between two cooks.

Instead of listening to the details, I ordered my food and minded my own business. I asked for a simple chicken wrap and fries, purchasing a cherry flavored soda in the process before making my way back to the table. Zoe had made it back before I did, and she was salting some macaroni and cheese.

"So you've met Lauren." She spoke up as soon as I sat, causing me to nod.

"Yeah, she's really nice." I replied, tearing my straw out of the packet and dropping it in my cup.

The girl nodded, moving her food around with her fork for a second, "Well, I would be a little careful. She just got out of a serious relationship, she may be emotional."

I furrowed my brows at her words, "Was it that bad?"

Zoe nodded, looking over to try and spot the other girl, "It was a year long relationship I think. Lauren's a romantic. It basically ruined her."

I let out a breath, shaking my head, "Wow. That's horrible."

Zoe nodded in agreement before Alice appeared through the crowd of people with Lauren trailing behind her. I moved over, making room in the booth. Lauren looked grateful as she took a seat next to me.

"Oh, Mia, those chicken wraps are the best." Alice said as she sat down, looking at my tray.

"I hope so. The last time I ate in a place like this was high school, and that food was absolutely disgusting." I spoke, causing the girls to laugh. A small smile made it's way to my face, and I was proud of myself for having made almost friends quick enough.

I looked around while chewing my food, my eyes landing on the condiment stand a few yards away. I looked back at the other girls for a second, already starting to stand up, "Does anyone want some ketchup?"

Lauren and Alice nodded at my question as I turned to go get some. I walked quickly, keeping my eyes down so I didn't make any awkward eye contact with anyone.

Once I made it to the stand, I reached for the small cups, my hand suddenly colliding with someones as the stack toppled over and rolled onto the counter. I looked up quickly, already opening my mouth, "I'm so-"

"Sorry," A tall boy spoke from where he stood, apologizing at his actions as he observed the cups now all over the place. I chuckled, moving my hand away. It was the same blond boy I had saw earlier, walking out from the hallway. He had the same smile on his face as he looked at me, "I really didn't mean to. I got some fries with my chicken wrap and I needed ketchup. Cherry Cola doesn't always help with the dryness of the food the cooks serve."

He was joking. I laughed gently, finding it a little weird that we got the exact same order.

"It's okay, really. I should have been watching where I was going." I replied, staring up at his green eyes. His hair was light, but had touches of brown mixed into it. I looked away quickly, not wanting to stare. He chuckled, "As long as you're sure."

I watched him pick up a cup from a new pile, pressing down on the nozzle of the ketchup as the red sauce filled it. He handed it to me after, the smile he wore lessening to a small grin, "Here you go. Sorry, again, for making you spill everything."

I took it, his fingers grazing mine as I nodded, grinning back, "No problem, and thanks..." I gave him a questioning look suddenly, his eyes widening a bit, "Oh, it's Blake. My name's Blake Moore."

"Mia Dowland. Nice to meet you." I said politely, about to walk away before he scratched the back of his neck slightly and spoke again, "Uh, do you work here?"

"Yep. Seventh floor. I'm a graphic designer."

He nodded cooly, "Nice. I work on the eighth floor. Mainly studio stuff, drums, guitars, you know."

I tilted my head to the side, confused, "Didn't I see you earlier walking out of the hallway on my floor?"

He thought for a moment before remembering, "Oh, yeah. Our copy machine is broken and yours is the closest one."

It made sense now, why he had a stack of papers in his hands when I had passed by.

"Well, I hope to see you around again." I concluded, feeling the girls practically burning holes through my clothing from their stares at the table. Blake smiled widely, dimples indenting on his cheeks, "Yeah, me too. See you later Mia."

Turning quickly on my heels, I walked back to the booth and set the cup down when I had reached it, "Sorry I only got one. If you want I can go back and-"

"Girl, screw the ketchup. You were talking to Blake Moore!" Alice said, pulling on my arm to get me to sit down, Lauren and Zoe wide eyed as they looked at me. I gave them all a confused look, "Yeah... he's nice."

Lauren laughed, "Forget nice, he's beautiful."

I snorted and gave her a funny look, "He's okay, not really my type."

Zoe shook her head, "Please, he's everyone's type. Once, a few months ago I ran into him on the way to the first floor. I mean, literally ran into him. He was really nice about it though and he even walked me to the front doors."

"Wow." I spoke, grabbing some fries to dip into the ketchup, not really too bothered by the subject.

"Well regardless of him being your type or not, you must have said something he liked because he's looking over here." Alice smirked at me before taking a drink of her soda. I bit the inside of my lip, my eyes moving across the room to search for him. Sure enough, my brown eyes met his green ones and I caught him staring directly at me. I ducked my head down in an instant, "Oh god. I barely said, like, six sentences to him."

The rest of the girls either smiled or laughed, the conversation shifting in an instant to some sort of carnival going on a few miles away. I took a bite of my chicken wrap, wanting lunch to go as quickly as possible all of a sudden, not bothering to look across the room at the blond haired boy anymore.