Chapter 30: First Test

John stared at Sherlock and Marie, and Sherlock reassured softly as the lights turned white again: "It's okay. He's dead."

"He doesn't sound dead." John muttered dryly as the lights turned back to red, and Jim's voice explained: "This is a recorded announcement. Please say hullo to some very old friends of mine."

"Hello?" The little girl asked, the call suddenly reconnected to their cell, "I can hear you talking. Please help me! I'm on a plane and it's going to crash!"

Sherlock reached over, placing his hand over Marie's comfortingly as her fists clenched, while the lights turned back to white and Mycroft blurted out irritably: "What is this? We can't do this!"

"Do shut up, dear." Sherlock retorted, shooting his brother a look before staring into space as he listened intently while the girl cried: "Is someone there?"

"Is this supposed to be a game?" Mycroft demanded, still irritated, but Sherlock ordered firmly as he gave his brother a stern look: "Be quiet."

"Please help me!" The girl cried, sounding like she was crying again, and Marie's hand moved to clutch Sherlock's.

He squeezed it back reassuringly as he lifted his head and called to the girl as calmly as he could: "Oh, hello. Um, try-try to stay calm. Just... te-tell me what your name is."

"I'm not supposed to tell my name to strangers." The girl answered, sounding determined even though she was clearly frightened.

Marie closed her eyes while Sherlock answered slowly: "Of course not. Very good. But, um, I'll tell you mine. My name is-"

There was an abrupt click, and Sherlock paused as they heard the sound of static over the speakers.

"Hello?" Sherlock called, and Marie murmured softly: "So, the game begins."

Sherlock nodded as he held her hand tightly in his, before they turned as Eurus's voice said in feigned apology: "Oh dear. We seem to have lost the connection."

The whole group looked over to where a large screen was hanging from the ceiling, just in front of the elevator doors, and which showed Eurus smiling while she sat before what appeared to be the Governor's desk.

"How have you done this?" Mycroft demanded angrily as he stalked over to stand before the screen, behind the glass. "How is any of this possible?"

"You put me in here, Mycroft." Eurus answered, her smile gone as she stared at her eldest brother with emotionless eyes. "You brought me my treats."

Mycroft's eyes dropped slightly before he looked back at Eurus, and Marie frowned; his expression looked almost... guilty.

Apparently John agreed with her as he also looked at Mycroft, asking: "What treats?"

Mycroft glanced at him, looking a little discomposed, and Sherlock also frowned as he glanced at his brother. Mycroft eyes flickered over and he returned his brother's gaze evenly, even though his lips thinned into a tight line as though something was troubling him.

Meanwhile, Eurus lifted a remote, pressing the button and all the lights in their cell turned red again. The screen then switched to show a close up of Jim's face, making John flinch while Marie and Sherlock's eyes narrowed as Jim praised in a fake American accent: "Clever Eurus! You go, girl!"

The lights turned back to white, and John demanded as he looked at his friends: "How can that be Moriarty?"

Before either of them could respond, Eurus reappeared on the screen as she explained: "Oh, he recorded lots of little messages for me before he died. Loved it."