Chapter 1 - Masked

You know the feeling you have when you first wake up. The feeling that everything in life is perfect and you are completely, blissfully happy. And then reality hits, HARD. And you remember how awful your life actually is. If you know what it's like, you can imagine how I feel.

If not, lucky you.

When my alarm sounded at 6:30, all I wanted was to stay in that momentary world of absolute serenity. But that moment did not last, and I left the warm cocoon of blankets.

Which brings us to now.

Fresh from the shower, wrapped in a towel, I stand staring down the outfit my mother had picked out for me last night, and cringe. I mean, sure, it was cute. A strapless, peach pink dress with matching heels and flower accessories.

Pretty, delicate, feminine.

And so not me

And so not me.

With a sigh, I slip into the disguise that my mother chose. When I'm dressed, I head into the bathroom to put on my mask, a.k.a makeup, using a peachy lipstick and neutral eye-shadow. I remove the curlers my mother had put in my hair the night before, grimacing
at my peach pink nails, also my mother's handiwork. I slipped the flowery headband over my hair and picked up the bag my mother had decided on. Peach pink, no less.

The overall effect was very sweet, very pretty, and very, VERY pink.

I turn away from the mirror with a grimace, making my way out of the room before heading down the stairs at the end of the hall. Six flights of stairs later, I emerged in the main living area of the pack house. I kept my head down as I made my way past the few people scattered around as I made for the kitchen, where I knew my mother would be waiting for me, just like she was every morning. I knew that she would have breakfast, a small bowl of fruit, waiting for me. I knew that I would finish in a matter of minutes, but I would still feel as if I hadn't eaten for days. But I wouldn't dare ask for more, because that would only end up being unpleasant for me. And I already had enough unpleasantness waiting for me during the day.

After breakfast, I rush back up the stairs to my bedroom on the sixth floor to brush my teeth. Still panting slightly from my ascent, I rush back down the six flights of stairs. If it weren't for everything else, I would say that the worst thing about being the Alpha's daughter is the fact that you have to go up and down six flights of stairs multiple times every day in order to reach the floor set aside for the Alpha, Luna and their family.

But of course, there are far worse things in life than six flights of stairs...

Well, there is in my life.

I hurry back into the kitchen where I find my mother chatting with my older brother, Christian. 2 years older than me, and the biggest, most loveable pain in my ass that ever existed. He shares my father's messy blonde hair and build, tall, at 6"1 and muscular. But his eyes are purely my mother. The most vibrant blue, windows looking out at a flawless, summer sky.