two

I'm going to apologize to her, for the years she will have learn to love her thick chocolate curls, but I'll be there to help her along the way. Instead of her waking up on Christmas to opening a hair iron, she'll wake up to a hella lot of hair spray.

I'm going to teach her that life will smack you in the face and as soon as she gets back up, just so it can kick you in the stomach. But getting the window knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how much they love the taste of air.
I'll tell her that some hurt cannot be fixed by band-aids, edgy indie bands, or poetry, so the first time her pet cat dies or a boy breaks her heart, ill make sure she realizes she doesn't have to be the hero and wear the cape by herself.

And I'll tell her, 'my little joy of happiness', you should not wait for a boy to decide if you're worth something. Get your nose out of the air, I know what you're doing. You're smelling for smoke, you want to find the boy who's house was burnt down, I know you want to save him. Maybe you're looking for the boy who started the fire in the first place.

But genetically, I know she will, always. So I'll have the ice cream and the sponges ready. There's nothing ben and jerrys can't fix. Okay, scratch that, a pint of ice cream may not fix a few heartbreaks. But that's what the sponges are for, for soaking up the pain.

I want to tell her the stuff I wish my momma told me. I want her to look at this world from the bottom of an hour glass, I want her to smile at the old man crossing the street and to never let anyone make her feel ashamed for her loud laugh. I want her to know its okay to not be okay, that she needs to put on those pretty pink rain boots and let the rain wash it away.

And yes, on a scale from one to over-trusting I am pretty damn naive but I want her to know that this world is terrible sometimes, but she is not Atlas and she does not have to carry the weight of the world by herself.

Remember that good things come in threes and so do bad things and always apologize when you've done something wrong but don't you ever apologize for loving too hard.

my joy of happiness