1: It all started with detention

Start from the beginning

I felt my cheeks becoming warm because of the blood rushing in due to embarrassment. "Well, I would have considered giving you detention, but I'm sure it will be taken care of by the professor whose class you have to attend right now." He said with a cold smile plastered onto his face. He then turned and went back into the staff room- the door closing behind him with a soft click.

By this point I was absolutely furious with Neel. But I knew there was no point in saying anything to him, I would just be wasting time. Instead I turned around and hurried to class. I was already fifteen minutes late and there no use trying to believe that maybe I could escape detention because of my usual punctuality and discipline. I prepared myself to be punished for the first time this year.

When I walked into class thirty seconds later, Miss Kurukshetra, my History teacher just smiled at me and said, "Detention at 6 pm in the evening, today in my office."

Now, you know what to expect when teachers are very angry with you what could I expect when Miss Kurukshetra smiled at me like that.

Neel was greeted with the same smile but only when Miss said the same words to Neel, that she had said to me, that I realized that I would be sharing detention with Neel.

'Oh no! He would just make the two hours of detention living hell for me.' I thought to myself.

I quickly took my seat next to Tvisha who gave me a concerned look. When Miss Kurukshetra went out of the classroom to talk to another teacher, I recounted what had happened. She glared at the back of Neel's head, as Neel had turned to his side and was talking to his best friend, Ishaan, animatedly. Both of us hated Neel and he hated us back- the feeling was mutual. There was no real reason; we were kind of like academic competitors. He was also very mean to us. Maybe we were just prejudiced against each other.

My other friends- Arjun, Sid and Kiara knew about my prejudice and though they didn't exactly like Neel, they didn't hold a grudge against him like I did. I told them about my detention and why I was so worked up about it. They told me it would be okay and that I need to calm down.

I just hoped we didn't have to do anything that would take us more than an hour to complete as I didn't think I would be able to control my willpower and yell at him. After all, this detention was all his fault.

___________________________________________

I reached Miss Kurukshetra's office at two minutes to six, early for detention. Neel arrived about five minutes later. When both of us were there, Miss Kurukshetra told us that us that we would have to research about the Mauryan age and write an essay- five pages long and both of us had to contribute to it. We could only leave after showing her our completed essay.

I sighed; this could take up most of the evening. I was particularly annoyed by the fact that I would miss today's episode of Pretty Little Liar. Today, the identity of 'A' was going to be revealed and I knew that Tvisha would not lose this golden opportunity to give me spoilers, to get back at me for spoiling so many things about its plot for her.

I turned and glared at Neel, who just smiled coldly at me. I pulled a chair on the other side of Miss K's desk and rolled my eyes as I sat down.

"Miss, can we use your laptop for our research work?" I asked.

"I don't mind lending it to you children, so long as you don't misuse it. I'll deduct your credits if I find that you two have done anything fishy." Miss K replied, pushing her laptop across the desk.

I thanked god that she happened to be in such a good mood today as she could be quite nasty when she was in a bad mood.

But the problem was that this assignment could take pretty long, maybe a minimum of two hours. The use of technology would considerably quicken the process, but the fact that I had a vey unobliging and annoying prick for a partner, could inevitably delay the completion.