Chapter 2: Backwards Day

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Underground Boys?" Sam asks through the headset. "Four in the last two weeks, and all four came through the basement windows. Last week, they found some woman at home. Tied her up and robbed the place. Sally, play the 911, would ya?" Alex explains. "Here it comes" Sally answers. Instantly Team One listens as two female voices come through the headset. "Oh, my god! Help me, please! Help me, please! Help!" one woman's voice screams."Put that down!" the other one shouts as the phone call gets cut off.

"How far are you guys?" Greg questions quickly. "Three minutes" Wordy states. "Okay, don't approach without cover. They could be expecting us. Get some intel. Hold off on entry until we go in as a team" Greg demands. "Got it" Alex agrees as she presses the gas pedal down gently, speeding up the car.

***

Once Wordy and Alex arrive they both quickly get out their guns and Alex motions for Wordy to go left, she will go right. Wordy nods and quickly but quietly runs towards the back. Alex runs up the right side quickly and through the gate leading into the backyard. She looks around at the windows carefully, making sure none of them were broken or open. "No signs of forced entry on black or white wall" Alex explains quietly through her headset. "Okay. No broken basement windows?" Greg questions quickly and loudly as the sirens blare in the background. "That's a negative" Alex advises.

"Maybe the Underground Boys are trying a new MO. Could be something else. Who knows?" Greg continues as Alex looks around carefully. "Sarah and Josh Scott. She's an illustrator. Works from home. He runs a software design company. Neighbour saw them leave together early this morning, but she returned home alone around nine-fifteen" Alex hears Wordy explain as she slowly makes her way back to the front yard. "That doesn't sound like a domestic, does it?" Greg questions sarcastically. "Unless the guy came back and walked in on the wife doing something she didn't want him to see. Or she opened the door to the intruders herself." Eddie states as Alex walks up and stands next to Wordy looking at the house.

"Alex, let's move forward on this. Make contact, but go careful" Greg demands. "Yes, sir. Wordy, I'm dialing in. Sally, can you patch me through to the source of the 911?" Alex asks quickly as he stands across the street from the house with her arms crossed over her chest. "Yeah. Just give me a sec" Sally answers. Alex listens as the phone starts to ring in her headset. "Come on" she whispers. She then lifts up the small mega phone and puts it up to her mouth. "This is Alex Parker with the Police Strategic Response Unit. We're here to resolve the situation, but we can't help unless you pick up the phone" she yells.

Wordy watches the house carefully and suddenly spots a curtain move. "We got movement on white, Alpha Two" he states. Alex looks over at him quickly. "Throw phone?" she asks and he nods as he walks towards Alex and the SUV.

"Okay, team, it's not a domestic. The husband was at work, and he's on his way" Greg admits. "Boss, we're thinking about a throw phone. If they pick it up, it will limit their movements. If they don't, we'll have the open mike on our side" Wordy explains as he lays his gun carefully on top of everything else. "All right, copy that" Greg answers as Alex hangs up her phone and walks back over towards Wordy.

"Here's something weird. I just talked to the alarm company. The alarm hasn't been triggered today, and it was armed a few minutes ago" Alex explains. "So, what? The intruders come in and then she sets the alarm?" Eddie questions confused. "How does that work?" Alex asks as she helps Wordy grab supplies out of the truck. "If someone's pointing a gun at you and they tell you to punch in the code, you'd do it" Greg answers through the headset. Alex reaches up and closes the trunk. "How far are we?" he then asks Eddie. "Two minutes out" Eddie replies.

Alex follows Wordy up closer to the front of the house as he holds up a shield. "Please step away from your window. We are throwing a phone into the house. The window's going to break" Alex yells with the megaphone as Wordy holds the tool they use to break glass closer to the window. Once it touches, the glass shatters. Wordy then quickly runs towards the window and throws in a box.