The Flea and the Acrobat pt 2

Start from the beginning

As I closed my car door I saw Lucas running back with a hand full of Compasses. We walked back inside and set all our compasses on the table, "what's exciting about this?"mike asked as Dustin pointed them all the same direction.

"Well, there all facing north right?"he asked as I realized what he was talking about, "whoa"I said looking closely at all of them. "Right!"Dustin said excitedly, "what?"Lucas asked. "Well, that's not true North"he answered. "What do you mean?"Mike asked as I looked closely at my compass.

"I mean exactly what I said, That's not true North"Dustin said in an obvious tone, Mike and Lucas looked at each other confused. "Guys"I said not knowing how these smart kids hadn't figured it out yet. "Are you both Seriously this dense?"Dustin asked.

Lucas shrugged his shoulders, "The sun rises in the east and sets in the west right?"he said in an obvious tone while pointing in both directions. Mike nodded "which means that is true north"Dustin said pointing North.

"So what your saying is the compasses are broken?"mike asked, Dustin sighed and I giggled at how passionate and knowledgeable he is about compasses.
"Do you even understand how a compass works?"he asked. "Do you see a battery pack on this"he asked holding one up and shaking it in his hand.

"No"Mike answered, "no you don't because it doesn't need one, The needles naturally drawn to the earths magnetic North Pole"he explained. "So what's wrong with them"Lucas asked, "well, that's what I couldn't figure out. but then I remembered"Dustin said.

"You can change the direction of a compass with a magnet, if there's the presence of a more powerful magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power" he explained. I could see the boys finally figuring it out, "And then I remembered what Mr.Clarke said the gate would have so much power-"Dustin said.

"It could disrupt the electromagnetic's field"Mike said, "exactly"Dustin said. "Meaning if we follow the compasses north..."Lucas said "they should lead us to the gate"Dustin said.

I smiled, "I'll be right back"I said before running back outside to my car and getting my revolver which my uncle said was only for emergencies. I put it in my jacket inside pocket and grabbed my baseball bat from the bed of my truck.

The kids walked up to me and Dustin handed me my compass, "lead the way"I said to Dustin, he smiled and stared walking.

*

"How much further?"Lucas asked, "I don't know. These only tell directions, not distance"Dustin replied as I looked behind us at Mike and El. I smiled as I saw them walking together, I then looked down at my compass.

"You really need to learn more about compasses"Dustin said, "I'm just saying, how do we know when we get to the gate"Lucas said. "Uh, I think a portal to another dimension is going to be pretty obvious"Dustin said making me smile from amusement.

"Do you think she's acting weird?"Lucas asked looking back at El. "You're asking if the weirdo is acting weird?"Dustin said. I looked back at El to see her talking to mike about something. "I mean, weirder than normal"Lucas said looking back again, "I don't know who cares"Dustin said as we continued walking.

After about twenty more minutes of walking we reached a car junk yard which only had a few cars and a bus. "Oh no"Dustin said stopping and looking ahead. "'oh no'?"Lucas asked "what's 'oh no'?"i asked confused.