Cold Water » Shopping

Start from the beginning

"Eww spiders!" screamed the other girls, as the other diners turned and gave them strange looks.

"Trust men!" I said and everyone laughed as the irritably jangly music kicked in.

[] [] [] []

I groaned as Brock drove towards a children's store.

"Brock, I'm seven months along, we have plenty of time to shop for baby things." I said.

He rolled his eyes. "Dani, you never know when you're gonna need stuff! You wouldn't have a baby shower, so we're taking a trip to the baby store." He said as he parked in front of Babies R Us.

"Well, considering that the store sells infant supplies and not actual babies, the term baby store is misleading," I argued.

"Can't you just say something cute for once?" Brock complained as they walked into the store. He immediately walked over to a rack of baby clothing.

"We can just buy a few things. Then when we find out that I'm right and the baby's a boy, we'll come back." He said.

"I never argued about the gender. My chances of carrying either are basically equal." I said.

"Yeah, yeah, there's no magic way to tell without the doctor telling us. But I know we're having a boy." He said and to further make his point, he grabbed a blue onesie with Daddy's little man written on the front.

"Brock-"

"Trust me, Dani. I was right when you were pregnant with Bree, so I know I'm right this time." Brock said as he turned to another shelf and looked at some brightly colored stuffed animals.

Whatever." I said.

Brock added several of the mythical and incorrect stuffed animals to their shopping cart while I turned to look at a rack of unisex clothing.

A petite saleslady walked up to them. "Can I help you with anything?"

"We're good." Brock picked up a small tee shirt reading My Daddy Can Arrest Your Daddy. "Dani, look! We gotta get this."

"It is rather cute, despite the fact that it would only apply if the father of the other baby was a criminal and you're not even a police officer." I said as I picked out a few simple outfits and put them on top of the pile of items that Brock had tossed into the cart.

"Choose some funnier things, Dani. Most of these unisex outfits are boring. Don't you want our son to look handsome?" He said.

"Clothing has nothing to do with the physical appearance of a baby," I argued. "Some outfits might be more amusing than others, but simple ones are just as suitable."

"Let me get this, too." I grabbed another onesie. Sorry, Ladies. My Mommy Won't Let Me Date Until I'm 30, was written on the front.

"You aren't serious about that, are you? Because he would be humiliated if he was over eighteen and still living by your rules." He said.

"Too bad, it's true." I grinned.

"And you admitted that we're having a boy!" He said.

"I was simply making an example, Brock. Just because I referred to the baby as he doesn't mean that I insist that he's going to be a boy."

"You did it again."

I groaned. "Let's just look at some gender neutral furniture." I eyed a simple wooden crib. "This one is nice."

"So is this one." Brock gestured to a pale blue one with butterflies painted on the back and sides.

"But without a crib, we would have to either hold the baby all night or allow him to sleep in our bed, which could be dangerous."

"Then I'd get a new crib and put it together as soon as I got home."

I sighed. "But what about the rest of the room? You would have to repaint the entire nursery, and the paint fumes could be unhealthy for a young infant."

"I've got this," he insisted. Finally I agreed, and they settled on the blue crib. "We can get the matching rocking chair, too," he added.

"Or you two can stop be so stubborn and let someone else buy something," a new voice spoke. Kyra stepped up beside them.

"Kyra, we can buy the furniture. It isn't that expensive compared to some of the other items in the store."

Kyra rolled her eyes. "Dani, sweetie, you wouldn't let me throw you a baby shower, so at least let me buy the crib."

"It looks like you've already bought several outfits, unless they're for Duke. But considering that they're new born size, I assume they aren't."

Brock nudged her. "See, Dani? Everyone knows that you're having a boy."

"Meaka and Lana gave me their money, so I'm buying the crib and the changing table." She said.

"Thanks, Kyra." Brock grinned at her.

"You're welcome." Before I could protest again, Kyra told the clerk to ring up the table and chair. "Dani, you need to be more like Brock here and accept gifts."

Once they had paid for the rest of their purchases, my stomach rumbled. "If you two are so willing to spend money, I'm craving chocolate cake."

Brock stared at her in awe. "You… and cake?"

"Don't insult me, Brock, I'm a heavily pregnant woman. Cravings for food that I don't enjoy are completely natural." I said.

"Then chocolate cake it is."