Eleven

I skipped dinner that night.

Klaus, after holding me and attempting to calm me down, had suggested I come downstairs with him for the family meal, but my mind was too foggy to even attempt socializing.

At one point, he'd even tried to order me down with him. But one tear rolling down my cheek sent him on his way without another argument. He'd told me he'd hurry back, and I secretly hoped so.

I was scared of being alone right now.

I didn't truly understand what was going on. What could be so serious as to unleash just power from within me? And how did those scars suddenly appear on my back like that? What did they mean?

I needed Klaus more than ever right now. I hated to constantly be relying on him, but this was different. When Klaus was near me, holding me, I could forget my fears for a moment and just feel safe in his presence.

A took a deep breath and ran a hand through my hair, standing on shaky legs and changing into my leggings and a warm sweater.

Pulling the sleeves over my fists, I made myself a cup of tea just when I heard a knock on the door.

Uncaring, I beckoned whoever it was inside.

Silas entered then, and surprisingly enough, I didn't seem to care. Looking at him closely, I pondered at his calm expression as apposed to his usual arrogant one.

I curled up on my couch with a blanket and sipped my tea, "Why aren't you at dinner?"

He shrugged, "I could ask you the same thing."

Stifling a sigh, I looked up at him with a forced polite smile, "What is it you need?"

He showed me a playful smile that suited him much more than indifference, and he came and sat across from me.

"Mother banned me from the family meal tonight," he admitted then. "And actually Klaus asked me to come keep you company while he was gone."

Instantly my heart swelled. My Klaus, always thinking of me. He was even willing to send the brother who had hit on his own girlfriend to keep me company. I was overjoyed and overcome with love and trust.

I smiled softly at Silas, "Thank you for your kindness. I appreciate it."

To my surprise, he seemed a little embarrassed then.

Scratching the back of his head, he flashed me a smirk and said, "That smile suits you."

There he goes again.

I sighed, "Be careful not to overdo that. Klaus wouldn't appreciate it and neither would I."

His expression turned serious and he looked at me with still eyes, "I wasn't trying to tease you, nor was I intending to gain your favor. I meant that"

Admittedly surprised, I couldn't stop a blush from staining my cheeks.

Irritated, I looked away, "T-thanks."

I heard Silas chuckle and I quickly turned my head.

Standing up slowly because my knees were still weak, I walked over to the table and made him a cup of tea. Coming back, I handed it to him without meeting his eyes.

"Thanks," he said gently, though his smirk betrayed his tone.

A wave of discomfort settled over me, and I regarded Silas warily.

As an hour went by, Silas and I chatted familiar things. Though I still wasn't willing to make personal conversation with him, a thought sprung to mind that I couldn't contain.

"I finally understand what you meant," I said then, seemingly catching him off guard. "About my powers."

His eyebrows drew together then, as if the subject were one he'd been avoiding, and my suspicions grew.

He thought about his next words carefully, "And you've concluded?"

I thought about the scars on my back and a shiver went down my spine.

Silas knew full well that I hadn't reached a conclusion yet. I hadn't even thought of one rational enough to deem a solution. I contemplated for a moment, unsure of whether I would tell Silas anything at all.

Something told me that he wasn't to be trusted about this. My whole body told me this easily enough, and I carefully began to assess my own fears.

Silas leaned closer to me then, uncomfortably close, and I instinctively pulled back from him just as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward.

With his lips by my ear, he said, "You trust all the wrong people, Little Sister."

Confused, and a tad angry, I tried again to pull away but Silas refused to release his grip, "Be careful, Aurelia."

I tried again to release myself, but this time Silas pushed me away. I watched him as he stood, and a flurry of thoughts flooded my brain as Klaus entered through my door.