4

Dedicated to AthenaShakespeare
Thank you for all your encouragement and your feedback. This chapter is dedicated to you! 😘
*****

2 weeks later
.....

"Jess! Jess come down we're getting late!" Beatrice yelled for the tenth time in twenty minutes.

Richard checked his Rolex. "We're late already." he mumbled to himself. Jess walked leisurely down the stairs in a stunning scarlet red halter neck dress. It reached past her ankles and it was very tight, hugging her curves beautifully. Beatrice smiled. "Wow honey, you look gorgeous! Tell me where you found it! " she praised.

Jess shrugged. "My husband, you know, George, he bought it for me for our first anniversary. He's got good taste, right? " she smiled sweetly and did a three sixty twirl in front them. "I never got a chance to wear it on our anniversary, thanks to you two. But I'm glad it still fits. Let's go. " she walked past them.

Beatrice's lips quivered. Richard had his poker face on. They followed without a word.
When they got to the drive way, Jess got into her own car and drove off.

The party was already in full swing by the time they got there. The gala, touted the ball of the year was a charity event organized by Human Rights NGOs in order to raise funds towards the fight against human trafficking. They raise millions every year. Many corporate bodies want to be associated with such a cause and compete on who will give the most. Dalex Incorporated wins every other year.

The limousine was surrounded by paparazzi soon as it stopped in front of the red carpet. A man in a black suit jumped out quickly and opened the door on the passenger side. Richard stepped out first, then helped Beatrice out. They both smiled and posed in front of the cameras. As they walked on the red carpet questions were thrown at them by eager reporters. It was mostly along the lines of "How much is the Dalex Inc. donating this year?" Richard smiled his megawatt smile and gave them vague answers. Beatrice was asked "Who are you wearing?" She smiled and told them.

A second car pulled up. It drew the attention of the paparazzi from them and they managed to slip away.
Jess stepped out of the scarlet red Bugatti Veyron with a smirk. She posed this way and that, and did a catwalk on the red carpet. She ignored all the questions asked her.

The party was in full swing when she stepped through the doors. An attendant offered her champagne. "Thank you." she accepted it with a smile. She headed straight towards a table filled with a group of her friends. They waved her over. They greeted each other with hugs and air kisses. Soon, they were talking and laughing and throwing back drinks.
Bruno, one of her friends asked her for a dance when the song changed. She gladly accepted. He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her to the dance floor. Jess laughed as they twirled round and round to the up-tempo beat. When they finally stopped, she hugged him out of exhaustion and to maintain her balance. Standing about ten paces in front of her was George.

*****

He tried his best not to get angry as he watched Jess go to the dance floor with that prick but keeping his anger in check is impossible these days. He could hear the grinding of his teeth as his right hand tightened into a fist.

How dare that man touch his wife, especially when she's wearing that dress!.

His head filled with images of all the ways he could kill or seriously maim that guy. He ignored the woman hanging off his arm who was trying to get his attention.

"Ooh! This is my jam! Let's dance." she giggled as she dragged him to the dance floor. She then proceeded to gyrate sensuously around him. He didn't feel a thing. But from the looks they were getting from other men the around he should be on cloud nine. All his attention was on his estranged wife and the man she is dancing with.

Everyone knows who Bruno Petrakis is. He has somewhat earned himself the reputation of a smooth millionaire playboy and all round fun guy. What he hides is how he's been using his status and good looks to prey on vulnerable women, usually starry eyed heiresses, divorcees and widows, and then swindle them out of their inheritance and hard earned money.

Disgusting.

If only people realized the reality of how he got those millions he keeps throwing about. But that's their problem. He would not watch his beloved fall into that trap!

Where is Richard and his prized instinct when he is actually needed? Time to teach him a lesson!

Before he could move a step towards the dancing couple, the woman he came with threw her hands around his neck. "Slow dance." she whispered in his ear.

His eyes immediately went to Jess to find her hugging Bruno fucking Petrakis!

As if she could feel his eyes on her, she looked up. Her eyes widened as they met his.

*****

Beatrice Dalex was laughing at one of her husband's jokes when she was nudged by the woman next to her. "Is that who I think it is?" Mrs. Davidson whispered into her ear.

She followed the woman's gaze to the couple happily dancing on the dance floor. Her lips pulled up into a bigger smile.

"Yes, that's my daughter. The man she's dancing with is Bruno Petrakis. Don't they just look perfect together? " she whispered back.

The woman nodded. "I guess Bruno Petrakis is quite a catch, but your daughter deserves to be with the city's most eligible bachelor. Imagine the benefits of such a match!...Huh! ...I wish I had daughters." she ended on a sigh.

Beatrice nodded happily. "I can just imagine. The Dalex's and the Macbells... Imagine the size of the wedding guest list. The president would be honored to receive an invite! " she sighed back.

******

Richard looked at his phone screen. He recognised the number immediately.

" Excuse me gentlemen, ladies. I will be right back. " he told his companions as he stood up from the chair.

He walked to the open terrace and read the text. He smiled.

"Bingo."

He called the number. The other picked up on the first ring.

" You know what to do." he said simply and hung up.

He looked towards the dance floor, right at George, who was staring at Jess. He shook his head. "Tsk tsk tsk, you never learn George, you just never learn. "

*************

I know, I know, its been forever since I last updated but I was going through some challenges that prevented me from writing. I couldn't even find the words to put my ideas down but I hope it passes soon. Enjoy...