One

"Class dismissed." Professor Schuyler announced, an onslaught of students milling about the room immediately after.

"Hey, Aurelia!"

I turned, slightly startled at the familiar voice, "Yes, Elias?"

"My brother asked me to tell you to come to his office after class, that's all I know." He shrugged nonchalantly, waving to me and dashing out of the room in a hurry.

Huh? I thought to myself. Klaus told me there would be no training today, it's the start of Christmas break!

I made my way quickly to the Prefect's office, knocking raptly and entering at the slightest sound.

"Klaus?" I called, shutting the door behind me.

"Aurelia! Come here for a moment, would you?"

Klaus sat at his desk, papers stacked neatly about it and his glasses newly placed in the middle. As I approached him, he gently grasped my arm and pulled me into his lap.

"Well hello to you, too." I laughed, blushing.

He placed a warm kiss to my temple that made my heart swell, and said, "I know I told you there would be no training, and there isn't. But I suddenly do have something important to talk to you about."

I perked up a bit, "What is it?"

"You've known Elias and I are taking off for the rest of the year to spend time at home with Mother and Father." He said.

"But now?" I inquired.

He gave me a stern smile, one I saw all too often when he was about to make me do something I didn't want to do.

"My parents are insisting you accompany us. They want to meet you."

Oh lord.

I smiled at him sweetly- a distraction- and said, "Hold that thought."

In a blink I was up and bolting for the door.

Yet, just as I had somehow predicted, Klaus followed me quickly and threw me over his shoulder before I could make my escape.

Too late to run. Now I had to go on the offensive. Which, in layman's terms, meant whining and pleading like a child.

He carried me far from the door and sat me down on the far windowsill, standing strongly before me and daring me to try to escape.

"Klaus," I whined. "I'm a poor country sider, an orphan, and a perpetual idiot at times. I don't belong at your family gatherings! Besides, your parents would beg you to find someone more suitable."

Klaus sighed and shook his head, "That's nonsense, Aurelia. You know that."

I huffed and crossed my arms, unable to believe that he still hadn't picked up on how I felt. He could be so narrow at times.

"Do I have to spell this out for you?" I said shyly, looking away from him and hiding my eyes.

He sighed and said quietly, "I can't read minds, Sweetheart."

I looked at him, my stomach telling me I was a bit nervous.

"I won't fit in there, Klaus. Your family is elite, and I don't even have a family- much less a famous one. How do I act around families? What would I say? And what about your parents? Surely they'll ask questions. Questions I won't have answers to."

I looked away again and closed my eyes to keep from thinking too much.

I felt him kneel down in front of me, but I refused to make eye contact.

"Look at me, Aurelia." He said, taking my hands in his.

I ignored him at first, swallowing to wet my dry throat.

"Aurelia, I said look at me." He said sternly, his voice still gentle.

I opened my eyes and bashfully looked up at him.

"My parents don't know anything about you yet, but I will do everything in my power to make sure they don't ask anything to make you uncomfortable. They just want to meet you. I've told you that I don't intend to give you up, so you'll have to be acquainted with them at some point, Sweetheart." He said.

"I know that," I said. "I just can't help but be scared. Your father and mother... What if they don't approve of me?"

Klaus flashed me a smirk, "Do I look like I've conformed to all my parents wishes in the past? I don't care whether they approve or not. I chose you, and they'll accept it one way or another."

I bit my lip.

"I'll go. But I'm scared."

He squeezed my hand, "That's what I'm here for. Now go back to your room and pack, quickly. We leave for the train in two hours."