1

George didn't know what he had done this time, but that did not stop his temper from rising. As if the day hasn't been stressful enough!

"All I asked was if there is food in the kitchen. You do not have to talk to me this way. What is wrong with you?! " he yelled back at his wife.

Jessica scoffed. He could all but see the gears moving around in her head and knew he was in for a long night. "What is wrong with me? You did not leave house keeping money, yet you expect food on your table, and I am the one with something wrong with me? What is wrong with YOU! " she screamed, waving her hands in the air.

George flinched. He wondered what the neighbors would start to think now.

"Jess, Jess please! You do not have to throw that in my face all the time. I'm really trying to fix this. " he said quietly. Jess sniffed.

George started feeling guilty. He hadn't realized she's been crying again. This has been happening a lot lately.

"For how long George? You have been trying for how long now?" Jess sniffed again. She turned her back to him.

"It's been three years George, and I'm tired. I can't do this anymore. I'm tired ..." her voice trailed off. She was full on sobbing now.

George felt his heart drop. He walked around the dining table hugged and her from the back. He noticed how thin she's gotten and his guilt increased. He was suddenly very afraid.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Jess. This was not the life I promised you. But I swear I am trying to get a job. Please don't leave " he whispered in her ear, his shaky voice. Jess sobbed harder as she leaned into his arms.

"Please George, I'm tired. My parents visited me at work last week and today. They said I am an idiot for staying in this marriage so long. They actually called me a useless idiot in public George! I'm tired of defending you all the time. I'm tired of slaving away to support us!" she wailed.

George exhaled. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry... " he mumbled. But she had more to say. The icing on the cake.

"I lost the baby... "

George closed his eyes against the wave of pain in his chest. Another baby, lost because of his stubbornness! He squeezed her tighter.

"... A pregnancy is supposed to be a happy occasion in every marriage. Why should mine be different. I'm just tired George, so tired... " she continued to cry as she held onto him to stay upright now.

He just held her as they cried together.

George found himself getting angry. Enough is enough!

*****

Jess woke up the next morning alone in the bed. It was no surprise that George had already left.

He took to leaving early and coming late about a year into their marriage. After the first incident he promised to try harder, even though it was futile. All avenues are blocked to him, all thanks to her father!

She sighed heavily.

She had cried through most of the night, George whispering endearing words into her ears as he held her,slowly making love to her with his hands, with his mouth, skin on skin... She fell in love with him all over again.

Jess found herself smiling giddily. When push comes to shove, she would always choose him. Her faith in George and their love always gives her hope.

She sighed as she held onto her stomach. Two pregnancies now spoiled due to stress.

She wasn't built for a such a stressful life. She's been pampered all her life, waking up late with ready breakfast lunch and dinner, maids at her beck and call, doting parents and shopping sprees, makeovers, balls and luncheons and galas. Frankly, it was getting pretty boring and monotonous.

Then she met George her second year in college. He was part of the basketball team, tall and handsome. His smile and pleasant persona won her over.

They tried being friends for all of two days, but it couldn't be helped. Their love had grown since then.

They got married few months after school, against her families wishes of course. They had barely tolerated him as a lover. Marriage is crossing the line!

George is not rich, and he wasn't working yet, and the worst part according to her parents, is his lack of ambition. He is a dreamer and is not ready to face reality yet. She can consider herself disinherited if she goes along with the wedding. She was so in love she didn't listen.

What if...

She sighed again. Time to go to work now. No matter how much she may wish the contrary, her meager salary as a secretary is what supports the home, and she cannot afford to lose it.

****

Jess arrived at work fifteen minutes early since she had skipped breakfast, again. The bills came in today and if she is to pay on time, some sacrifices have to be made. She can always have lunch at work.

"Good morning Major." she greeted the security guard at the gate.

He was a big man in his early fifties with grey hair on his temples and a neat, well kept beard.

"Good morning Jessie. Early again today? I thought you would take the day off after yesterday. " he replied after giving her a hug.

He was referring to the argument between her parents and her that led to her losing her pregnancy. He had witnessed everything and even interfered when it got too heated.

A flash of hurt went through her chest at the memory, and it's aftermath.

" Don't worry Major, I'm alright." she said quietly. Major didn't believe her one bit but decided to let it go.

"Well, take care of yourself okay. Don't let that slave driver scare you too much. You have a right to take a break when you don't feel well." he pressed.

"I'll keep that in mind." she finally gave in.

They've had this argument every day for a while now. The slave driver he was referring to is her boss, a workaholic spinster in her forties, who expects perfection from everyone. She takes no excuses for tardiness and can fire a person on the spot just for breathing wrong. Because, in her words, after all,

Human labour is in abundance in the country. If you are fired today, another person would take your place before the day ends. No one is IRREPLACEABLE.

Jess tries her best to stay off her radar by being one step ahead always.

She greeted the cleaning staff and ignored the receptionist who has managed to turn herself into a world class gossip slash rumour monger in the office. She was loudly chewing gum and filing her nails when Jess passed by.

She sometimes wondered how that woman is able to escape the slave driver all the time.

Jess went to her desk which was situated right in front of her bosses office and prepared for work.

******

That's the first chapter. What do you think!?

Picture of Jess above. 😊