Chapter Two - Gabriella Monte Robinson

Start from the beginning

The point is, I am an orphan. Most of my friends are as well. It is like the state wanted to get rid of the orphans and stuff them all here. We have about twelve orphanages. And a lot of people offer their homes. For example, my grandmother and I invite orphans to stay for a few months or weeks before they get taken to their official new homes.

Everyone knows everyone here. So it is very weird to see a stranger that hasn't been introduced yet, maybe he is an orphan. I don't recognize him in the least bit and I haven't heard news of any new orphan coming. So of course with my history and everything with the strange deaths and all, I was completely on guard.

The boy smiled and extended his hand out for me to shake, "Zayn William Bush." He said trying to be friendly. His smile altered a tiny bit when he saw I was staring at him as if I were to pounce and in the end, maybe kill him. I was acting as my nature told me to. Do not trust strangers. I offered a plastered fake smile but I started moving my feet in a sprinting position so I could possibly have a head start if he turned on me suddenly. He noticed and stepped back a few steps, noting my threatening narrowed eyes.

After minutes of silence, I realized I was just over reacting. He is probably just a confused orphan, and I am probably scaring him. I nodded slowly, "Nice to meet you." I said trying a friendly and welcoming tone, but when getting to the 'you' I had already turned around sharply and began striding towards the woods.

As I was passing the trees and bushes, I could hear Zayn behind me, following me. I bit my lip. I knew I was getting scared at this point. "Not to be rude, but I should be going home. So, what do you want?" I asked but continued my pace.

"Your name?" He asked coolly like it was no big deal. It really wasn't a big deal, but he was making me nervous. You don't just go around following strangers and you defiantly don't want strangers following you.

I sighed inwardly as my speed kicked two times faster. "Gabriella Monte Robinson." With that, I turned off the path and ran down the steep hill and sped through the abandoned woods. Trash was everywhere, so I only walked to the side of the trash, to not make too much noise. After walking for about ten minutes, I think he's totally gone. I looked over my shoulder and let out a sigh in pure relief.

That is when I ran into someone. The second I saw his face, I opened my mouth to scream. He put his hand over my mouth and pulled us behind a bush. We crouched down, and I gave him a confused expression, hoping to get some explanation.

He just pointed towards the road and sure enough, Zayn started walking the way I was going probably trying to follow me for some reason. Once he was gone, we stood up straight. I sighed relieved Zayn was gone. But when I looked up, I was met with concerned and angry eyes.

"Gabriella Robinson, you led him to the woods? That is dangerous for you to be alone, with a stranger, in the woods! And what if he was a good guy? He could get hurt." Ashton folded his arms, showing he was very disappointed.

"He followed me! Also, what is up with you and keeping people away from these woods? It is beautiful out here, and the only danger is maybe a few bugs. And if this place was so bad, then why are you here?" I started strolling down the opposite way Zayn went.

Ash sighed and followed. "If something were to happen to me, I would know how to fix the situation. You can too. But any other normal teenager would just freak out. And there are animals, coyotes. They could be dangerous! And I know how to control them!"

"And how exactly would you control them? Huh?" I stopped to glare at him.

He smiled and answered, "Magic?" it came out more like a question which caused my mood to change and a bright smile crept onto my lips. I laughed and spun away from him, so my back was facing him.