Chapter 14- The True Identity of John Doe

Magsimula sa umpisa

I'm too shocked to speak, even though I know he wouldn't be able to hear me anyway.

"You've been erased. Not only have I erased everything and everyone from your mind, but I've erased you from the minds of the world."

The Slytherin is moving away from me, but I don't leave my body behind. He's gone now, and I'm alone.

"You didn't tell me your name because you don't even know it," I said, understanding now.

"Yes. I've been trapped here for 50 years now. No one was able to see me, hear me, or feel my presence. Not until you came along," John took the parchment back from my hand.

"Why was I able to see you? The others who have been petrified, can you see them?"  I had a million questions swirling around in my head.

John shook his head. "I don't know why you could see me, and still can. I'm unable to see the others. I have seen their bodies though. The young boy, I believe his name is Colin, and your brother's friend Justin."

I nodded to confirm, but neither of us spoke again. The silence hanging in the air was only broken when the echo of footsteps made their way up the staircase I had been headed toward. The potions master didn't recognize what he was seeing instantly, but when he had, he rushed forward.

"Professor," I muttered, even though I knew he wouldn't be able to hear me.

Snape looked unsure of what to do. He would glance toward McGonagall's quarters as if meaning to head in that direction, but then back down to the body at his feet. He was muttering something quietly under his breath, and without fear of being noticed, I moved forward.

"I'm sorry, Lily. I'm so sorry."

My eyebrows furrowed. Devastation was clear on Snape's face. He kept apologizing, even having done nothing wrong. I was the one who shouldn't have been wandering the corridors at night. Not listening to what I was told had finally gotten me into trouble.

Snape levitated my body off the ground, and began to walk. John and I followed close behind him. He retraced the steps I had taken only an hour ago back to the hospital wing. My body was laid down gently on the same cot as it always was, and Snape raced into the back to retrieve Madame Pomfrey. John stayed behind, but I followed.

I had never been in Madame Pomfrey's room, and even though I all but existed, I felt like I was intruding. I glanced around quickly as Snape struck his knuckles hard against the door. A  beige couch was in front of a crackling fire, a book lying open on the table. There was a small kitchen in the corner beside the door we'd come through. Pomfrey threw the door open quick.

"Another?" She asked as if expecting it.

Snape nodded. "Potter."

Madame Pomfrey's eyes widened, and her and they dashed out. I slipped through the door behind them before they slammed it closed. I returned to John's side just as McGonagall and Dumbledore rushed in. Their faces dropped at the sight, and everyone whispered quietly as to not wake Hermione.

"But Potter... she isn't a muggleborn," McGonagall whispered.

"The wrong place at the wrong time?" Madame Pomfrey offered.

"No, there was no mistake here. Miss Potter was targeted directly, and I fear we know the answer as to why," Dumbledore said. I was disappointed when they did not elaborate.

I listened as they discussed the draught that Professor Sprout was creating to revive the petrified victims, and how it wouldn't be ready until June. I shifted in place, uncomfortable thinking about how Harry would react to the news. John seemed to take notice of this.