Chapter 14- The True Identity of John Doe

"Lily Potter."

The voice behind me distracted me from the fact that I was standing over my own body. I turned to find John Doe standing behind me. He smiled genuinely, and had the situation not been as it was, I'm sure I would have smiled back.

"Sorry to see your situation," he said, nodding to my body.

"I'm not dead, am I?" I asked, terrified of the answer.

John actually laughed. "Of course not. You're petrified. Just as I have been."

The two of us glanced down at my body. My long black hair was sprawled out across the floor, my eyebrows still furrowed in the millisecond of confusion I'd managed at the bright golden eyes, one hand out defensively, the other still around my wand.

"We can stick around until your body is discovered, if you'd like," John offered.

I nodded thankfully, and we took a seat, leaning against a wall. This out of body experience was different than I thought it must be like. I didn't float, and couldn't go through walls. It was basically the same as usual.

I'd had no idea John was petrified. When I'd seen him around, he'd looked just like any other student. I wouldn't in my wildest dreams have realized just what had happened to John. I was surprised that word of his petrification hadn't gotten around the castle quicker.

"So, John," I said carefully. "Now that we're in the same boat, do you want to let me know what you're all about? You say you're petrified, and yet as far as I knew, only Colin, Justin, Nick, and that blasted cat have been."

John grinned. "For starters my name isn't John."

"Yes, I know."

"As you know, The Chamber of Secrets has been opened once before, 50 years ago. That's when I was petrified. The guy who did it didn't say a lot. He told me he'd wiped my memory, so I don't even remember my own name. I assume I'm a Ravenclaw judging by the robes I'm wearing. They boy, who told me only that his name was Tom, had wiped my memory because I'd discovered the chamber. He didn't kill me because it was too early, and he'd have no time to wipe the school of the mudblood filth," John paused, thinking hard. "He mentioned that it was a shame that such a pure blood like me had followed him, and I was too smart for my own good. He mentioned at some point that we were in the same year. I have this all written down, if you'd like to read."

I nodded. John handed me a piece of parchment from his robes pocket. With one more nod of permission from him, I began to read the diary like entry.

23/04/62

He must have petrified me before he wiped my memory, because I don't know how he did it. I'm not in my body, I 'm standing over it in shock. It's terrifying not to have any memories.

"I've wiped your memories," a Slytherin boy is beside me, but he looks not at  me when he speaks. "I don't know where you are, but if petrification works the way my research says it does, you're still in this room."

He is indeed right.

"Why did you wipe my memories?"

The Slytherin doesn't seem to be able to hear me. I only am able to hear him.

"Don't try and speak to me, as you cannot. Nor can you speak with anyone else. You don't exist. Neither does this chamber, or its beast. I do, though. I'm Tom, that's all you need to know. I'm sorry you followed me down here. I didn't want to cause harm to the pure bloods, only rid this castle of its mudblood filth. You were too smart for your own good, and you followed me after our Potions class together. You discovered my chamber, and I couldn't let that get out. It's too early though, to let a student die; especially let the pure blood spill."