Welcome to the Black Parade

Kageyama's eyes cracked open to see a worried volleyball team and his father. "Kageyama-kun! Thank god you're awake!" Daichi managed out, obviously relieved as Kageyama stared at his father. The plain, white walls and the constant beeping at his left side gave him hints to where he was until he finally knew where he was. He DEFINITELY remembered where he was. He was in a hospital. That's when everything came back to him, almost as if someone smacked a vase on his head, causing him to hear the sound of it hitting the floor. He remembered leaving Karasuno in his mother's minivan, him listening to "This is Gospel". He remembered his mother desperately swerving the car to the right of the highway, only for the car to end up flipping over. That's when the worst of it hit him. He remembered blood staining the airbag that covered his mother's face. It was his mother's blood. 

That made him shoot up like a bullet, tears in his eyes as he looked at his father desperately. "Dad, where's mom?! Is she okay?!" He managed out, his voice raspy from just waking up. The expression on his father's face was almost enough for him to understand what happened and what his answer was going to be. "Tobio, son. Your mother died on her way to the hospital." He said, his voice full of sorrow and desolation. Kageyama's eyes widened, more tears forming in his eyes as he was taken aback. His mother was the strongest person he has ever known. How can she just die like that? How can she LEAVE him like that? 

Kageyama slowly began to shake his head, his expression full of despair and grief. "No...No..NO! YOU'RE LYING TO ME! MOM WOULDN'T DIE THAT EASILY! MOM WOULDN'T LEAVE LIKE THAT! DAD, PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE LYING!" He cried, his voice cracking with each tear that rolled down his cheeks. Kageyama's father helped his son sit up before gently and carefully hugging him. Kageyama hugged him tightly, almost as if he were holding onto his reason to live. Almost as if he were hold his mother tightly to prevent her from leaving. "She's not gone...She's not gone..." He sobbed, his teammates watching helplessly as their friend sobbed over the loss of his mother. "Shh....I'm right here..." His father whispered, holding his son close as Kageyama buried his face into his father's chest, gripping his shirt tightly. 

"Mom wouldn't leave us..She'd never abandon us.." He continued, looking up at his father, desperate for reassurance that this was all just some silly prank. "Son, she can't control what happens. If she did, I guarantee you that she wouldn't have gone the way she did." He said softly,watching his son cry. Sugawara looked at Kageyama's father, pure sympathy written all over his face. "We'll give you guys some time alone."He spoke before getting protests from his teammates. "Look, Kageyama-kun just lost his mother. Have a sense of humanity and understanding." Daichi chimed in as the team left, Hinata giving Kageyama a kiss on the cheek before following the others out of the hospital room. 

Kageyama stared at his father's plaid shirt, looking at each and every color within it, from the night sky colored threads to the ocean blue ones. Nobody could describe how he was feeling right now, not even himself. He had lost his mother: the woman who was always there for him from her buying him his first volleyball to the day she told him how she would support him in everything he did, even if he didn't get into a high ranking school. His mother was the one that wiped away his tears and truly understood him. She didn't even care if he cared mainly about volleyball, though she always made sure he had the grades to keep playing the thing he's the most passionate about. She brought him a sense of happiness, no: bliss. She always gave him this calm and light feeling inside, almost like sleeping in the best position ever. He was always comfortable around her and the two were almost mistaken as best friends because they were so easygoing towards each other. Now, all of the person that brought him these feelings was dead, gone like the wind.

"Dad...I could've saved her! I could have walked home! That way she wouldn't have been on the highway in the first place!" He cried softly, his father rubbing his back and shaking his head. "No, son. You need to know that it wasn't your fault. The maniac on the road was in the wrong lane. You couldn't have walked, son. You know your mother is too paranoid for that." He said firmly, his eyes meeting Kageyama's in an intense manner. Silence roamed the room, waiting for someone to break the silence. "What time did she die, Dad?" He asked, his father sighing in response, for he couldn't deny his son the time his mother had left this world for good. "4:30 PM, Tobio." He said sadly, seeing his son's face full of self-hate and devastation. "Why, dad?" He asked, making him raise an eyebrow. "Why what, Tobio?" He asked, his voice full of curiosity and confusion. "Why did she have to die?" He asked, making his father's heart break at the state his son was in.

"When we went to the garden when you were a little boy, what flowers did you pick?" His father asked, making his son think very carefully. He had picked a blue rose, a petunia, a couple of daffodils, and a sunflower. "Now, what do they all have in common, son?" He asked as Tobio began to put the pieces together. All of them were...beautiful. "They were all beautiful.." He managed out as his father nodded. "Sometimes, the worst things happen to the best of people. Unfortunately, your mother was one of these wonderful people. She was a beautiful flower, Tobio. You'll see her again, son. I promise you, and when I promise something, I never break it." He said as Kageyama nodded again before falling asleep, tears still rolling down his cheeks.