Trouble at the Borders

Start from the beginning

"Where are you gonna take him?" I asked unsure about leaving those two alone but the look on Asher's face told me he didn't care about my personal displeasure. He was given a job by the next alpha and he took his job as a tracker, hunter, and pack warrior very seriously.

"To the Luna. I'll meet you guys at the border after I ensure he's safe with the Luna." He pointed out. I nodded my head walking over to where Jace sat, his expression saying that he was confused by all that was happening. Leaning down, I pressed my lips to his forehead for a second or two before pulling back.

"I'll be back. Go with Asher and stay with the Luna, okay. She'll protect you." I said.

"Sky...?" he called grabbing my wrist as I turned to leave. I looked back to him.

"It'll be alright. I promise to come back in one whole peace...and alive." I assured but rolled my eyes when Asher snickered.

"Yeah, you better. I'm runner up for third-in-command should you perish and in case you haven't noticed; I'm quite content on being just a hunter, tracker and warrior wolf. I don't need the extra added responsibilities." Asher said with a pout.

"Okay, whatever you say." Then I looked to him with a serious expression. "Take care of my mate, Asher."

"And I say that I take my job very seriously. You have nothing to worry about." He said shooing me out the door.

*********

Jace's POV

So here I was walking alongside Asher; the very same guy who once tried to stick his tongue down my mate's throat. I was truly uncomfortable letting him 'take care of me' but I didn't really have a choice. I understood Marcana was currently facing a threat and it could potentially lead to a war. What I was unfamiliar with was the procedures carried out in such situations.

Sky was needed at the border being both a victim in this case and also the third-in-command. I was the one Jessop wanted so Asher was to take me straight to her. I've never met Dale's mother before. I've only heard that she was a very beautiful woman; a dominant female who was on par in abilities with the alpha- which is why she was the Luna, the alpha's mate; the female alpha.

The street of the community pack was quiet and at each house, a soldier wolf was posted. Everyone was inside their houses. Even though the commotion was at the pack border, as Asher had said earlier, Jessop could have easily snuck past him and entered Marcana territory.

From what Asher told me, it was a procedure to ensure that the risk level stayed at a minimum. We approached a house that was not very glamorous. Then again, none of these houses were eye catching, really. They were simple buildings and this house, which I assumed to be the alpha's home, looked no different than the other houses...except maybe the well kept red rose bushes.

"We're here." Asher announced motioning for me head through the gate. He followed behind me and I took note of the two wolf guards standing near the door. I assumed it had to do with this being the alpha's home and since the alpha is probably the most important person in the pack; his home had to be protected.

"Usually in circumstances like these, children below the age of fifteen gather at the alpha's home so that the Luna can protect them. Children between the ages of fifteen and eighteen are split two ways; some stay with the Luna and help look after the little ones while the others, usually boys help the alpha and the other warrior wolves." Asher explained to me.

"What about all the wolves who aren't with the Luna or helping the alpha and beta?" I asked turning my gaze to him watching as he nodded to one of the guards.

"They stay in their homes but there are rarely any wolves that don't have something to do in such situations. Submissives and omegas who can't fight or protect themselves are usually looked after by the fourth-in-command; my parents."