Day 298086

Gabrielle Cardwell was someone who I remember well. He was one of those people whose names are burned at the back of your mind and you never forget them, despite your hardest efforts. Gabrielle Cardwell was one of those kinds of people. He was an ambitious, young man, trying to make a living in the cruel economy of the Americas. However, in 1642, I doubt he had a choice. Not many people did back then. 

Mary Baker was one of the fairest ladies in town, and Gabrielle was increasingly lucky to have her. Mary Baker was not only very beautiful, but she was also very wealthy. Her family's wealth was renowned, but coupled with Gabrielle's many properties, the couple would be quite well-off. Mary's father approved of Gabrielle, and so the next month, they were married.
The marriage was small, and a simple common-law marriage. I remember watching them both holding hands, sharing empty promises and agreeing to be married. Very special. I knew Gabrielle was very pleased with the dowry the Baker's had arranged for him. It consisted of £15.10s.6p, some of the finest maize in the state - as the Baker's were famous for their maize - indigo, rice, sugarcane and 30 slaves. It was more than enough to get by, and to make a living.
The slaves were the main income. Gabrielle had become as wealthy, perhaps wealthier, than Mary's father, and the Cardwell's became famous throughout the state. When Gabrielle rode out to the port to collect yet another shipment of slaves, he was sure his luck would be beside him. He received 20 negro men, who would be a welcome addition to his estate, and 10 women in return for full payment.
Joseph was among them. Joseph, a name given to him by Mr Cardwell, is Hebrew for increase or addition, however this was unknown to the ignorant Gabrielle. Joseph's true name was Azubuike, meaning the past is your strength, in Igbo. He missed his home. It was his strength. Gabrielle didn't realise this. He didn't realise a lot of things, until it was too late. Azubuike, or Joseph, suspected Gabrielle's ignorance, and when he stood to his full height of 6'6 to be scrutinised by Cardwell, he knew he would have to use Gabrielle's ignorance against him. Mr Cardwell thought that Joseph's muscular frame would be put to good use in his fields. How wrong he thought. As I stepped off of the Cutlass - the ship Azubuike had just lived on for several, harsh months on a treacherous journey to the coast of Louisiana - I saw Gabrielle assessing his next few human objects to be bought like fruit at a market. I felt so sorry for them. But I knew why I was there, and it certainly wasn't because of any of the slaves.