DAY 70

"I'M SO HAPPY."

"Of course you are." Tessa grinned. The sun was shining for once and the Black Lake looked inviting. A rarity.

James playfully elbowed her in the shoulder as they strolled through Hogwarts grounds, going no particular direction. He looked at her happily, studied the deep, murky eyes that seemed to examine him.

" Stop being like that." He said out of nowhere. He hadn't meant to think out loud.

Bemused, she replied.

"Like what?"

James wanted to say perfect, like a bloody work of art, so ethereal  but instead scoffed excessively, improvising.

"Like you're not ecstatic whenever you see me."

Her eyes hinted at something, but she spoke clearly and distastefully.

"I'm really not. You annoy me too much."

"I guess I like you too much."

Tessa smiled. Slick git.

"Yeah," she sighed," I guess you do."

James smirked. She'd never admit it but he knew she felt the same way, knew she just wasn't the type to openly express it, save for snogging in public sometimes. They walked around, both content, before he stopped in his tracks, realizing something.

"I forgot! I've got a surprise for you!"

"For me?"

"Yeah! Who else?"

He winked at her before rummaging through his bag. A few seconds later, James Potter pulled out a blank piece of paper and a pen.

"Oh."

"I knew you'd like it."

"What is it?"

"Got it at Hogsmeade, it's very cool," he pushed up the glasses that were leaning precariously towards the tip of his nose before continuing," You write something, right? And then you simply add a date and it'll send to whoever you're writing to on that day. No later, no less. Rad, huh?"

Tessa bit back her tongue but, unable to contain herself, laughed at the excited expression on James' face. He wanted so badly for her to like his gift. She had doubts on the credibility of such a paper and wondered where in Merlin's name he had ever bought it, but didn't want to upset him, not yet. She kissed him quickly, reassuringly, to tell him that she was happy without having to actually tell him. To her, words were more genuine and real. None of this was genuine.

"I love you."

The usually quick witted, fast talking girl was taken aback. Loved her? After, what, a month or two? That just meant the plan was working, that-

"Gee, I expected you to say it back but I'll settle for a confused look I guess. Gotta go now, Peter's gonna help me with Ancient Runes."

He hugged her and kissed her forehead, it was more like a quick peck really, a tradition that seemed to develop between the two, before running off.

Tessa knew. She and everybody else knew without ever having to say it out loud. The goodbye kissing, the way he talked and looked at her as if she was the most important person in the whole entire world, the gift...it was all quite evident. He was in love. But did everyone else know that she was too? Was she too fake, too distant? Or was she too much, too clingy?

Did it even really matter?