Chapter 7 - The Zeke takeover begins

Start from the beginning

I had missed her incredibly and had spent a lot of my holidays trying to be allowed to fly to see her. Mum had refused; instead she kept me busy with so many ridiculous chores that I had hardly any time to myself. Mum didn’t know about the secret phone calls to Winter every night. I had told her I was talking to Susie. The worst thing was that meant I then had to spend time with Susie, which drove me crazy.

Now that Winter was here in front of me smiling as though she had missed me too, I of course chickened out of saying anything. It didn’t help that Zeke was standing next to her either.

“I’ve missed those cookies, hand them over Winnie.” I made a snatching motion with my hand while her eyes twinkled at me as she tried to hide them.

“Winnie?” Zeke asked but I decided to ignore him.

“You now have a roommate so you need to share.” She said pointedly while I frowned at her.

“Then you better have made the biggest batch in the world.” I warned her and she shook her head.

“Who never learnt to share?” She asked as she scurried into the lounge room and plopped down on the couch. I raced after her and practically threw myself at her.

“Hand over the goods Missy.” I demanded as I tickled her sides and she lost herself in giggles for the longest time.

“You promise to share and I might just do that.” She told me and I let out a very put upon sigh.

“Fine I promise to share with Zeke.” I said as I held my hand out toward her. She passed me the package then and I greedily went to engulf a cookie.

The doorbell rang again and dread filled me. I wanted, no needed more time with her before they descended and pushed us apart. I decided to ignore it but had forgotten all about Zeke or Dirk, whose job it was to open the door.

They arrived upon us like a pack of hyenas circling a carcass. They all stopped still and stared at Winter and I. The eyebrows raised at our proximity had sweat pooling in my palms but I just couldn’t stand to push away from the girl  I knew I loved.

“Desperation on so many levels Winter.” Quill said, her laughter trilling around. I glanced quickly to Winter to see her eyes change to a swirling silver that I had never noticed before. I wanted to say something but it was as though my tongue had stuck to the roof of my mouth.

“Better than being forced to booth E.” Winter answered sweetly and I’m sure my mouth popped open in shock as Quill instantly backed down.

The rest of the group started questioning Quill as she then tried to fend them off her. She sent a frantic look to Cole who simply smiled that cocky smile and turned to me. My heart started thundering then and I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about how this was going to turn out.

“So we heard there’s a new guy over here with you?” Cole said managing to quiet his cronies down with a few simple words.