My mother was not a warlord like my father, she was delicate and chaste. If a king turned up and said that Thistlewood was his for the taking, she would cower and let him take it. This meant that I had to return. But what about the babies at my feet? Could I walk into the castle with them surrounding me and not have the guards pointing their swords at them?

I knew that I needed Maluth's help.

"I have been prepared for this future. From the moment I could talk, I learned to speak in a way that was fitting of a queen. When I could read I was given books to learn how to be a good queen. I prayed that my parents would have a son that would usurp my position, but that has not happened. I am an only child, and for that, I think this world will suffer."

"I'm sure you will make a great queen Caliphe."

"A queen with dragons?" I said, trying not to sound like I was mocking him.

"Why not?"

He stood from the seat and grabbed a cloth, pulling the urn from the rack. With a strainer in place, Maluth poured the sweet-smelling liquid into the waiting cups.

"Do you honestly think that the kingdom will accept the dragons?"

"They will if you tell them they have no choice."

Intrigue filled me, I became curious about the possibilities.

"He was singing."

Maluth looked up at me with a confused frown, quickly lost when the urn became too hot for his hands. With a few hisses, the urn was set to the stone surround.

"Who was singing?"

"The knight, as he burst into the tower."

I could see the disbelief on his face, I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't heard it for myself.

"I can't get over the arrogance. Even if he hadn't killed Mama Red, I'd still be put off by him."

"And you obviously refused any offers he may have suggested?"

"Too right. As if I'm going to marry that freak."

Maluth's hand was shaking as he reached for his tea, still wobbling as he took a sip.

"Everything okay?"

Because the fear in his eyes said differently. The tea rattled against the metal edge as Maluth put the cup back on the table.

"Uh, how did things go? I know he wasn't impressed that you declined his marriage proposal and the nasty business about the dragon but everything else was alright, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, aside from the fact that I said I'd decapitate him and drag his body around. I need a horse."

"Oh dear me." Maluth groaned.

"Yes, you are right. I need an axe first. I also said that I'd put his head on a pike, so we need to deal with that as well."

His hands propped his head on the table, the wizard was groaning.

"Was that too much?"

The withered hands moved away from his head as Maluth looked up at me.

"Too much?" He said, shocked. "My dear, you are definitely your father's daughter. War mongering without the fear of who you upset."

Yes, that was true. My mother had said that I was my own worst enemy.

Maluth stood from the table, shuffling to a hall stand that was stacked high with papers. Finding what he wanted, Maluth returned and slapped the newspaper to the table. As he gestured, I opened the newspaper and found the reason for his groaning.