Chapter 1 || Calling

Lillie was sitting up at the highest spot of her favourite tree, straining her ears as always, to listen to the wind.
She could almost understand, almost hear what the wind was saying. Like a language close to English, but not close enough.
She looked down at Breeze, her pale grey stallion, who was grazing contently, ears pricked, mane ripping gently in the wind.
She had gotten him a week ago for her fourteenth birthday, and she already loved him as much as he loved her.
The wind called more strongly, she was sure that was what it was doing.
She let the wind blow her long, black hair behind her, let it stroke her face, almost seeming motherly.
'Lillie!' It seemed to be calling, 'Lillie, Lilith, Lillie' like a chant the wind seemed to sing in a whisper.
"Lillie!" That was definitely a human voice, it sounded like Sarah.
"Lillie!" It was definitely her. She called herself Lillie's mother, but to Lillie, that didn't seem quite right. Neither did Mike seem like her father. That's why she called them their first names.
"Lillie, come inside, it's dinner time!" Sarah called again.
She opened her eyes and looked at the sky to see the sun sinking below the horizon.
They must want me to help prepare dinner thought Lillie, she didn't really mind, she could put her own twist on the final product.
"Lillie, come down now!" Sarah was beginning to sound exasperated.
Lillie began her slow decent, she could nearly fly down, but she wanted to savour the wind playing in her hair.
When she reached the bottom she jumped onto Breeze and rode him to his stable to un-tack him and put him in his stall.
Mike came across her just as she was leaving the stable, "Lets go make dinner, eh? We're doing mashed potatoes, boiled vegetables and lamb chops."
She nodded and headed inside their house.
She washed her hands in the laundry and entered the hallway. She turned right and went through the left hand door to the kitchen.
She was greeted with the sight of Sarah busting around the stove, boiling the veggies and potatoes, as well as frying the lamb chops.
She went to the cupboard and got three plates out, the drawer to get cutlery and a knife, a chopping board out of the rack, and three chives out of the fridge.
She started chopping the chives in long, swirling strands and shorter, gently curved pieces.
A little while later she was presented with the vegetables, mashed potato and chops,
Lillie arranged the lamb and vegetables in an artful manner, then put the potato in neat, cloud shaped blobs in the spare space. She also placed the bits of chives so that they were flowing out of the white.
Mike gave her a mug of gravy which she poured carefully over the veggies.
The end product was quite unique, it looked like it might even float away.
They all carried their dishes to the dining room across the hallway and sat in their spots at the circular table.
Mike said a quick prayer before they ate, the taste wasn't bad, but not amazing either.
She thanked them for cooking this meal, and they thanked her for making it look so nice.
Lillie then headed for her bedroom to get her towel and pyjamas. She went to the bathroom next, and had a quick shower before going back to her bedroom and turning the lights off.
She had the window open to hear and feel the wind better.
Lillie let the sweet singing of the wind loll her into a quiet sleep, filled with dreams of swirling air and lilting breezes.
All the while she was mildly aware that the wind seemed to be calling her, calling 'Lillie, Lilith, Lillie'.