Down

"Thanks, Gray," Ethan said as Grayson handed him a fruit smoothie. "What kind did you make this time?"

"Strawberry banana with coconut," Grayson said, seating himself in the wicker chair next to his brother. He rolled his eyes when Ethan made a disgusted face. "Just try it, you idiot. I think you'll like it."

Ethan gave Grayson a skeptical look but brought the glass cup to his lips. His eyes lit up when the smoothie hit his taste buds.

"See?" Grayson said, a light smile curling his lips. "I told you that you'd like it." He slowly turned his head, blinking contentedly as he watched the small flames flicker upon the tiki torches that lined the deck. The crickets and cicadas sung lazily in the late summer humidity and somewhere far away, a dog barked and a long train whistle blew. Grayson felt himself dozing off; the dark greens of the forest behind the deck and pastel pinks and oranges painting the sky were soothing to his eyes. He felt his muscles relaxing, conforming to the chair. He nestled his knees closer to his chest, his nostrils flaring as he breathed in the aroma of a summer night: the fresh scent of moisture collecting on leaves and grass where it would rest until the sun rose, the faint smell of his mother's sweet flowers that were settling down for the night in their baskets and pots, the smell of smoke from their neighbor's campfire and the strong yet satisfying smell of fresh mulch spread upon the landscaping of their lawn.

It was one of those nights where time seemed nonexistent. It was blissful, peaceful, and it couldn't be disturbed. The façade of happiness was built around them, unbreakable in the dying sunlight. But both boys knew that once the sun broke the horizon in the morning, spreading its beams of light throughout the world, the busy life would come right back. The busy life of going to work, attending school, shopping at stores, cooking meals, caring for family, completing chores. There never seemed to be enough hours in one day, but once the sun decided to say goodbye, the clock wound down and time seemed endless.

Grayson and Ethan loved the night. No one was around and the world was asleep and silent and dark. They liked having this time to themselves. It was a time to think about the day and explore their deepest, darkest thoughts. Maybe they would be silent, maybe they would talk with each other, solving the mysteries of the world.

"Gray?" Ethan asked. His voice was calm, like the gentle purr of a feathery soft kitten. Grayson blinked his eyes open. His lids were so heavy; he wanted to just let them fall shut and allow himself to enter another world, the world of dreams.

Grayson loved dreaming. It was the only place where reality didn't exist and problems didn't exist. If he was having a good dream, he'd stay asleep and enjoy being in that world. If he was having a bad dream, he would wake up and it would be gone. He wished life could be like that.

"Yes, Ethan?" Grayson responded. He looked up into the sky, which had darkened considerably. It wasn't dark enough for the stars to shine, but that would come soon enough. Now, the sky was a rainbow of washed colors. Dark blue at the top, light blue, a thin layer of yellow, a hint of green, and a soft, satisfying, beautiful red. The red was so pale that it looked pink. A few thin clouds made their presence in the sky, unmoving because the atmosphere was absent of any breeze. They were just a silhouette, black against the sky, as if they were a shadow. A shadow from another world.

"Can we go to our spot?" Ethan asked. "Please? I don't want to go alone."

Grayson was silent for a moment. He wanted to decline Ethan's offer. He was warm and comfortable, curled up in the wicker chair, surrounded by warm, welcoming flames and the limbs of trees that reached out towards him, asking for a hug. He took a deep breath, an uneasy feeling settling in the pit of his stomach.

"Sure," Grayson said. "I'll go with you." He wanted to cherish these moments with Ethan. Besides, all Ethan wanted was a little company and Grayson was all he had.