Corrupted life

What happens when death,destruction and poverty is all you know? Well Joanne Morgan was desperate to stop her daughter knowing only those things. Childhood was for innocense and fun . Now the streets were littered with families hanging on to the hope they could steal enough food to keep their children alive for another week. Bodies upon bodies coated the streets; unless you were rich, there was no way to cure any illnesses anymore. There were more orphaned children living on the streets than anybody else; many soldiers took advantage of this. It was heartbreaking to see children of five being strapped with guns and pushed onto the battlefield. Not that there was a field, everywhere was the battlefield. 

Everything had been okay once, but then in 2015  the government had elected a president to rule the whole world. Richard Johanson had been elected and everything was fine for a while; then the power hit him and it hit him hard. He felt he could do what he wanted and no one could stop him -no one could. This frame of mind had disatrous consequences. He plunged the world into an economic crisis. Countries were going to war constantly ,trying to conquer, which ever country had the most money left. Now it's 2050- no country has any money left, however the armies have become addicted and left traumatised by the sites they have witnessed and they can't stop.Although nobody can blame them ,aside from the government, the army are the only people with any money; if they stopped their families would be thrown onto the streets and left for dead. There was an alternative to the streets. There were government run work houses. centuries of development and we still hadn't progressed from the Victorian era. People could take them and their families to live in these work houses, they'd be fed just enough to keep them alive in return for exhausting work where 90% of the wages were payed in rent. What sort of a life was that?

Joanna woke up and brushed the tears from her eyes; she had the same dream every night.  Her and her daughter were on the street. She smiled and shook her daughter awake, but she didn't wake up. Upon closer inspection her daughter was skeletal and had died of starvation. Then she'd wake up silently crying. Breathing a sigh of relieft she smiled. Luckily for her they had a 2 bedroomed house, extremely rare in these times and her daughter was if anything a bit over fed. Although the circumstances her and her daughter are fine wern't wonderful. Brett Morgan, was a wondeful man charming and had extreme lengths of love for his wife and daughter. He was a soldier, although not sick in the head like most of them ,he did what he had to do for his family to survive. Until one day he dropped on the job, he'd suffered a heart attack. When they were back home , he was as lovely and thoughtful as ever. "Here you go" he smiled,handing Joanne some money," Go to the work house shop , get yourself some Lilies i know how much you love them and get Heather a new toy ,you both deserve it."

As they returned home, Joanne had told Heather to run in and say thank you to Daddy; however the scream she heard instead startled her. She ran into the room they shared and burst out screaming. Brett was dangling from a rope. Why she cried, then she noticed a note ,with a single Lily lying on the top.

Dear Joanne,

                       I'm so sorry , i didn't want this and i definately didn't want you too see me like this. But i had to do this in order to save you. The money it would cost to keep me alive and healthy would end up with all of us on the street. There's enough in my bank account for you to live comfortably for a while. Look after Heather and when she's old enough to understand why i did this please tell her I love her more than anything. 

                                               I love you Joanne xxx

The most upsetting moment was the funeral. Now they had to survive on the money , they wouldn't be able to afford a formal funeral . Instead she dug the hole that tore her heart in two and lowered her wonderful husband down with the help of some of his friends. Heather was only 3 and couldn't understand why he Daddy was in the ground. Joanne would have loved to send him off with a prayer, however religion was now punishable by law. Not that many people belived in religion anymore anyway, who could belive a God would let so many innocent children,men and women die? Who could believe a God would destroy his own creation in this dispicable way? And who could believe a God would turn around all the good things in life, we'd civilised ourselves so much,we'd had hot water,electric and cars, now all we had was sparse amount of food , less often that needed?