ACES

|Lara|

            “John!”

            I scream and my voice leaves a ringing in my ears. “Stop driving and come quick…” I lower my voice while noticing Vikki growing irritated.

            “What the hell is going on back there?” John hollers back to us. “Can’t stop now, the Turned are everywhere, Lara!”

            “Damn it.” I pound my fist into the metal wall of the tank.

            Wyatt flinches at my outburst and grips a stake tightly in his fist. Rubbing at my knuckles that are now bloodied; my eyes signal Wyatt to come closer. His shoulder brushes against mine and I let out a long exhale; slowing my respiration and lowering the anxiety rising inside me.

            I start to brainstorm and rub at my temples; humming and sucking on my bottom lip, I make a rash decision. Vikki curls into a small fetal position; moaning and scratching at the floor.

            “Lara! Lara, come over here please?” she yells and repeatedly asks for me to sit near her. I gaze around the tank and notice a bag full of supplies. Scurrying quickly on my knees, I slide into it. Unzipping the top; my hands search frantically to the bottom. My fingers wrap around a dozen of plastic pieces and I withdraw from the bag; exposing zip-ties in the air. I jerk my head towards Wyatt and expose a slight smirk.

            “Wyatt, help me with her, hurry! I am going to lay her belly to the floor and I need you to restrain her feet.” He looks at me nervously and I crawl near Vikki with no hesitation. I inch towards her side and she snaps at my face with her now sharp canine teeth. I gasp, flinching backwards.

            “Close call…” I talk under my breath uneasily. Wyatt is down at Vikki’s feet and has his large fingers curled around her boney ankles. Her pant leg brushes upward; revealing white skin and blue veins etched unto the surface.

            I get my chance to restrain her while she cradles; holding both arms against her belly. The screams she manages are terrifying and my hands begin to tremble. Winding both of her arms behind her back; she begins to thrash.

            “Tie her damn wrists, Lara!” Wyatt spits while yelling at me. His face is beaten red; trying to contain a once small woman, now almost a full-fledged vampire. I shake my head to clear my thoughts; grabbing her cold clammy hands, I take a zip-tie and loop it around her wrists.

            She lies in place whimpering and crying. Her confusion stabs a pain in my heart and I scratch at my now scabbed knuckles nervously. Wyatt crawls on all fours; his head still nearly hitting the ceiling. His arm brushes against mine and he slumps down, so I can rest my head upon his shoulder. Vikki continues to cry nearby and I have no idea what to do next.

            “Should we release her outside?” Wyatt asks and grabs a hold of my sweaty hand. I release from his grip and wipe my palm against my pant leg; grabbing tightly his right hand, yet again.

            “No. That is not an option, Wyatt.” John had stopped the tank and is now kneeling in the back near us. We both glance back at him and he shakes his head back and forth in disagreement. “She’s my wife’s sister and we’re going to end it the right way, got it?”

            “John…” I begin to speak and he cuts me off abruptly.

            “Lara, this is not up for discussion, this is my decision.” He crawls towards Vikki and she whimpers into the metal floor. “It’s okay...Rachel is waiting for you. Oh, and Nicolas will be so happy to see his Aunt Vikki.” Tears swell in his eyes and he wipes them away quickly. “Tell them hello for me, okay?”