The Beginning

I threw my dorm door open and slammed my books on the nearest surface to me immediately followed by a sigh and my fingers heading straight to my temples and beginning to rub them.

"Stressful lecture?" Sighed my roommate and best friend, Scarlet sitting on her bed with her computer on her lap.

"Try being alert in Philosophy when you've gotten practically no sleep the night before" I shot back in a tone and threw myself onto my bed staring straight up to the ugly ceiling of my shitty yellow, overpriced dorm in the beloved, Manchester University.

"Oh Alex, have you forgotten? I know you top to toe love, you got diagnosed with insomnia when you were fourteen 'sleep' is not in your wide range of a vocabulary" she giggled back less serious.

"This course wants me fucking dead" I moaned, followed by a sarcastic laugh from Scarlet.

"Hey, you've wanted to do this mountain of a course since you were like, sixteen I remember you talking about it in the lunchroom non stop. You love it here even when you hate to admit it" she added.

Scarlet was right which sometimes, I'm reluctant to admit but she knows what's best for me most of the time. I could trust her with anything. In fact I can remember my teenage years with her well. You see- I'm the middle child of three so my parents focused greatly on my over-achieving older sister and younger sister. I went through a few shitty times as a teenager and when no one, not even my family was there for me Scarlet was. And I'm so fucking glad she was. Finishing secondary school was like a giant weight taken off my shoulders, I was worried about what would happen to my friendship with Scarlet after we graduated, but we're still standing strong as of now, and I was over the moon when she chose Manchester too.

I think she knew a guy who knew a guy who was quite sketchy who talked to a professor but hey, as long as we got a dorm together we really didn't complain.

My trail of thought was interrupted by Scarlet.

"And guess what? I know exactly what you need, there's a huge party tonight. Easter break is starting and most of your assignments aren't due until at least next week and I'm sick of going to parties without you! It's going to be massive, like everyone is going. Please come with?" She begged dragging out the last sentence.

Scarlet pushed me to do many things, most of them being things I hated or would never dream of doing, and most of the time it worked out for the best... but of course there's always the possibility the night would go completely terrible- but she's right even I felt like it was what I needed. I haven't been to a party in a while, I think I just need a break. Now I'm not exactly the 'party animal' type but I did enjoy a night out every now and then as long as it was with the right people.

"Okay, fine I guess it'll be fun" I reluctantly replied.

"Thank fuck" she gave a sigh of relief. "You know how much I can't stand most of the girls there." She added as she walked into the bathroom with a towel in her hands to take a shower.

I stared at the mirror and looked into my reflection. Every time I do my black wavy hair almost brings me to physically face palm myself, it used to be a deep brown and got me many compliments because of how thick and healthy it was I until I decided that black looked better- so I dyed it over and over, something I regret greatly of course.

"What the fuck do I do with this damaged mop" I whispered to myself in the mirror, only to be interrupted by Scarlet popping her head out of the bathroom door behind me to grab a shirt.

"Jesus Alex, I'll never forgive you for how damaged it is, but leave it to me" she laughed closing the door behind me.

***