Who Else Stood A Chance Besides Me?

Chapter 8

Izaya stared blankly at his blank lock screen on his phone. He hadn't got a single notification from Mikado. A frown spread across his face. A week had passed since the incident. Izaya had been really busy due to his latest client and wasn't able to contact Mikado. Although, he was still bothered by the latter's previous actions.

His grip tightened around his phone before he threw it across the room. Just remembering what happened last week makes my skin crawl... He couldn't believe Mikado stood up for that monster. Of all the things Mikado could've done...

Izaya growled in frustration as he leaned back in his swivel chair, closing his eyes. Wanting, hoping, to think of something else. Anything else. He didn't want to wreck his office. Although, he would usually go screw with one of his many humans, but even that didn't seem satisfying or even the slightest bit amusing. Izaya furrowed his brows trying to think of things that could relieve his tensed and stressed mood.

Mikado's face popped in his mind.

He opened his eyes and leaned forward, sighing. His life truly seemed to revolve around Mikado. He let out a dry laugh as he ran a hand through his hair, reminiscing about when he first met Mikado. He honestly didn't expect much from the teen, you know? He was just screwing around with his humans like always. Nothing new. Izaya wanted to see what the high schooler would do. He did nothing, and thus Izaya got bored rather quickly, not really sparing the kid another glance.

So, it was quite exciting when Izaya later found out that Mikado was the leader of the colorless gang, the Dollars. This is where his interest in Mikado started. He was curious as to how this kid kept it on the DL this entire time.

Izaya began paying more attention to him, seeing that he became more and more entertaining to watch. What really made Izaya fall for Mikado was when he completely took down Yagiri Pharmaceuticals. This sent Izaya reeling with so many emotions. It was something new to Izaya. The feeling of true love. Love for only one person and not a species as a whole. His love for humans didn't amount to the feelings he had for Mikado.

This was when Izaya started to send Mikado little gifts. Little presents. Some of them were souvenirs from the places he visited and were very rare to get your hands on. Some were also jokes just to see how Mikado would react. Let's just say, he wasn't disappointed. Izaya was slightly surprised at how Mikado started to refuse some. At first, Mikado seemed very shy and reserved, but he soon started to show irritation at his constant gifts. Mikado even sent some of them back to his condo.

Izaya laughed at that. Mikado was just so amusing. Always so unpredictable, which was another reason Izaya loved him so much. As much as Izaya loved knowing and controlling the situation, he loved how Mikado had him all over the place trying to figure things out.

Sometimes, Izaya would visit Mikado's apartment. Unannounced. He noticed how dingy Mikado's living area really was and offered to buy him a new place. One that actually seemed livable. Mikado always refused, so Izaya settled with just upgrading his appliances. Couch, TV, Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, etc.

His interactions had been going smoothly and Izaya was finally going to ask him out on a proper date, but no. His plans were yet again compromised by a certain monster. He could handle the others: Kasuka, Masaomi, & Saika. All of them together, but he still couldn't shake Shizuo. He was always there to ruin the moment. Shizuo always knew how to push his buttons (and vice versa). He was the only one who was getting in his way and ruining his plans.

Mikado even got mad at him once when he told him that he had sent the mafia after Shizuo. Why was he getting mad at Izaya? Shizuo was the problem, not him. Although this did irritate him, he was also intrigued by Mikado's change in demeanor. It was rare to see Mikado generally pissed. Pissed was probably exaggerating it, but it was rare to see Mikado anywhere near the angry side of the emotional spectrum.

Izaya smiled as he recalled the past few dates they went on. He loved all the expressions Mikado made. Especially the ones he made him have. All the memories they made. All the places they went. All the things they did. Even the kiss they shared. A moment Izaya would never forget.

Izaya's mood quickly turned sour and his smile fell from his face as he remembered what happened last Saturday. Another reason as to why he should just get rid of that monster already. Even the thoughts of ending Shizuo in many brutal ways hadn't lightened his mood. Every time he thought about killing Shizuo, Mikado's devastated face would pop up in his head which halted his thought process completely.

As much as he loved Mikado's expressions, he didn't like that one, especially if it was caused by him. He felt his chest tighten as a small, sad smile reached his lips.

"Geez, Mikado...you truly are and enigma." He smiled widely to himself. Just the boy, himself, was able to make him feel all sorts of different conflicting emotions and make him second-guess his reasoning. The simple thought of Mikado had Izaya all over the place. Izaya laughed maniacally as he spun around in his swivel chair.

A small pinging sound reached his ears as he stopped spinning abruptly. He swiftly got out of his chair and sauntered over to his forgotten device, a smile never leaving his lips.

"You know..." He began as his plucked his phone off the floor, glancing at the screen. A laugh almost left his lips as his grinned wider.

"Shizuo never really stood a chance in the first place..."

1 New Message from Mikado

Lmao y'all thought I was dead, right? Well I was. You were right. You know I was gonna drop this story cause I lost motivation, but like I have most of this story written out already. I just think it's shit, but I guess I should just post it anyway and have y'all be the judge of that. Sorry for the short chapter, but hey, it's an inside look on how Izaya feels sorta. Ok well I'll see ya next time (probably soon, cuz school is almost out) bye bye ~~

~ Venom