I feigned ambivalence. Of course, Michael was attractive. But there was a time and a place for everything. This wasn't it.

"Shhh! Look there he is! He's here! He's here!"

They all swiveled around back to their desks as if nothing had happened, attempting to look nonchalant as Michael swaggered in to the executive floor's main reception.

I honestly thought he would cancel.

Time to face the music.

Michael Montgomery was the definition of man-candy. You'd probably find his picture next to the word 'hot' in the dictionary. Laying eyes on him was a privilege. Despite his salt and pepper hair and crow's feet around his eyes, he could wear the hell out of a suit and could make any girl, including myself swoon. He was charming, but rugged and rough around the edges. Looking at him, you could almost see him, twenty-five years ago, a teenage Texan bad boy that your mother would forbid you from ever associating with.

I crossed the room to meet him at main reception.

Looking up from the desk, Michael's coffee-brown eyes lit up and he moved to meet me half-way.

"Adriana," he drawled, accent heavy, "You look sensational." He took my hand and raised it to his lips, pressing a kiss to it.

I couldn't be mistaken when I said the girls on the other side of the office gave a collective squeal, their gaze heavy on my every movement.

"Michael," I smiled, my brows furrowing, "I wouldn't go that far."

I was simply dressed today in a grey roll-neck sweater with grey fitted trousers and grey heels. But to be told I looked sensational was always pleasing. Somehow, though, it didn't have the same ring to it as Spencer's compliments.

"A gentleman never lies," he grinned, "How about we grab that lunch? I know a place about two blocks away."

"Sure, that sounds great." I nodded, moving for the closet to the side of reception, "I'll just grab my coat."

"Let me," Michael said, pre-empting my move and opening the door, assisting me in putting on the grey coat I plucked from the nearest hanger.

"You are far too kind, Mr. Montgomery." I smirked, "Such a gentleman."

"If you're ready, we can leave?" he replied, eyes suddenly wide.

I found it strange how this man was in his forties yet could immediately transform into a five year old boy whenever I gave him a compliment. He was far too cute to be real. But, there was of course the fact that I had my own man. And Spencer trumped anyone else any time. But I was polite. I'd give this lunch a shot and hope that Michael and I could remain friends, and perhaps do some business in the future. I'd like that. I'd like that a lot.

*

He'd led me to a densely-populated bistro just around the corner that I had visited a few times with some people from the firm.

Michael had ordered for me. Our meals consisted of fish, chips and mushy peas. And suddenly, I could smell the fresh sea-salted air and taste the grease on my tongue from Spencer, Licia and I eating fish and chips out of newspaper at the Brighton seaside when we'd visited England.

Aside the coffee Michael sipped from every once in a while, he'd barely lost concentration on me, either talking rapidly about general stuff or listening to me. I'd tried to keep conversation light, talking about our legal work, the weather, plans for next week for example. But I'd be a fool not to notice the way he was looking at me right now. The whole walk to the bistro, he'd placed a strong hand possessively at my elbow and whilst we talked over the table, he would make slight movements, subtle touches, look up through his eyelashes, smile with only the corner of his mouth. He'd been coming onto me for the past half an hour and I didn't know how to let him down.